Thursday, April 7, 2011

Uppity People and Turning In Early

Who's ready for the weekend? I am, but just because I dig the weekends.

There is a certain type of person who can simply be referred to as uppity. You can find them just about anywhere, but I've noticed a large amount of them can be found in my English classes.
Now, uppity people are not hard to find. They tend to state their opinions quite frequently in class. I'm not saying that stating your opinion in class is a bad thing, but there's a difference between stating it politely and stating it like a jerk. For instance, you could be thinking that one character in a story has much more wisdom than any of the other characters. A good way to say this might be like this:

"Well, So and so could be considered a more intellectual character because..."

Then you state your reasons why that character is more intelligent with proof. Now, if you say it in a more uppity tone, it comes out like this:

"CLEARLY he's the more intellectual character, and there is no reason why anyone should think otherwise. Only a fool would think anything else."

Uppity people tend to come off as a tad ignorant, or their ears are blocked off to any other reasoning.
...Can you tell I dealt with a few of them today? Because I did. These people seem to try to make you feel bad or stupid. They are quite the pet peeve.

On a more positive note, today happened to be one of the most relaxed days in awhile. I kicked in my pjs early in the day and zoned out while surfing on the web. I thought, "Shouldn't I be getting ahead in work? Shouldn't I be doing things that I haven't had time for?" But then I decided you know what? It's okay to relax once and awhile.

Well, I am already in my pajamas...
Other positive part of my day? I decided to run on one of the treadmills in the wellness center today. I'm not usually one for treadmills, but a cool thing about these treadmills are that they have TVs on them. Yeah, the new center is not messing around! I ended up watching How I Met Your Mother, and I'm guessing it was quite a sight to see someone laughing like crazy while running.

When was the last time you encountered someone you considered "uppity"? Hopefully not recently!

No comments:

Post a Comment