Monday, April 25, 2011

Getting Back to the Grind, Things I Have Learned From Fictional Characters, and Upcoming Decisions

No holidays for quite some time now! That's probably a good thing, but I can't help getting excited for the next one. Well... maybe I can. Right now I'm in the mood to get to the grind. Makes me feel more centered, ya know? Let's see, the next holiday is... Mother's Day? Then Memorial Day, then the end of school!

Since it is indeed Monday, I have a little bit of knowledge that I have gained from fictional characters once again. This lesson I have learned from many shows and stories in the past, but the lesson came up again when I saw the show Wicked.
Spoiling a little bit of the story, there is a part in which Elphaba who is on the run goes to the home of her sister. Now, throughout the whole story we've seen Elphaba be a worried and doting sister. She cares for her sister a lot, but especially since her sister is in a wheelchair. In return, Nessarose, the sister, goes through angry teen rebellion and disregards any kindness her sister has bestowed upon her. Back to the present situation, Elphaba has been learning some pretty sweet sorcery, so she figures out a way make her sister walk. Does Nessarose shower her sister with love and affection? No! She's still a bitch, and blames her sister for actions that she causes 5 minutes in the future.

It may not seem like it, but there is a lesson in this whole scenario. That lesson is that truthfully, you can't change people. They are how they are, and most likely that's how they'll always be.

"But Hannah," you may ask, "Aren't there a bunch of fictional stories out there where a character has a change of heart? Like the Grinch?"

Yes, I suppose that's true. Also, I'd wonder why you couldn't think of another example. (That's all I could think of at the moment.) I realize that there are so many stories where a character gets a makeover, completely remakes themselves... Yet, I've also seen endings to many of these stories where the character goes back to the way they were before, or incorporates their new habits into their old lifestyle. Humans are stubborn on change.

Psychology has proven that point to me even more, as we've been learning about happiness. There are studies on people winning the lottery or getting in horrendous accidents. The studies show that despite the winnings, they aren't usually happier. Or, the people in the accidents are still quite positive.

It's good to make little habits of change, and it can be completely possible. These things tend to be over time. However, doing a total 180 on yourself or someone else isn't very likely. That's why they say people shouldn't go into a relationship thinking, "Despite the long history of violence, my loving heart can change them!" ...That doesn't always turn out for the best.

I'm very excited for summer being so close! Still... there are things that I'm having trouble deciding. I'm trying to get better with the over thinking, but it's so hard. Just go with it Hannah. Seriously.

Have you ever tried to change someone? How did it turn out?

1 comment:

  1. Pre-college, I used to try and change people, but once I got to the Real World, I definitely turned into a live and let live type.

    I think this might be my favorite fictional-characters lesson yet!

    ReplyDelete