Saturday, April 16, 2011

Upcoming Tests and The Strange Ways of Fashion

It's nice to know that my guilt-ridden tendencies are not of the norm... Goodness. I really wish I knew how my sister got to me like that.

Anywho, hello all! How's it going?

Not much here, simply needing to get reading for a test coming up on Monday! Well, I suppose I have time to study tomorrow too, but still.

The class that I have the test coming up is History of Fashion. I'm surprised that I haven't talked about it more often, because it's quite an interesting class.

At the moment, we've gotten from the Greeks to the beginning of the Italian Renaissance. One of the biggest things I've learned so far? There are plenty of outfits that look extremely similar that all have different names. Am I a little freaked out about the test because of it? Why yes I am.
Still, clothes are such an interesting part of culture. It's amazing how certain outfits can mean different things, or how specific coloring means that you're wearing that outfit for an event at a certain level. For instance, the only women who wore Togas during the Roman times were prostitutes or fallen women. Now doesn't that give a whole new meaning to a toga party?

Along with some of the practical wear comes some of the illogical decorations that people wore. As I started to think about it, my mind went to the crazy things that we wear nowadays that aren't really necessary. Sure, some scarves are for warmth, but the thinner ones are more for decoration. And what about ripped jeans? What are the people of the future going to think when they look at that? All I know is that the world is crazy, and we're crazy along with it.

What's a fashion of today that you believe people are going to look at thinking, "What the heck?"

1 comment:

  1. I really don't get the maxi-trend or any of that really boxy, shapeless stuff that's going on. It's not functional or attractive so it's pretty mysterious to me.

    ReplyDelete