Friday, April 8, 2011

Late Night Surprises and The Amount of Time to Graduate

What an interesting start to the day I had! I bet that no one out there had one like I did (unless they live in the same dorms), unless it involved:
  • Loud noises
  • 3AM
  • Cold morning
If somehow you came to the conclusion that my dorm's fire alarm went off at three, then you are absolutely right! Ain't that a hoot.

I guess it wasn't so bad, but really? Not super fun to be woken up randomly in the middle of the night by shrieking alarms to dash out into the cold with no shoes.

I'm starting to get to a solid idea of what I want to study, but realizing just what I want to study is getting kind of scary. It's not that I'm scared of the subject (though it will take a lot of hard work), but it's what's required in classes. I have come to the conclusion that despite trying to get a lot of classes done, I still might end up taking five years to graduate.

 That scares the heck outta me.

Really, I know it shouldn't scare me. Maybe I don't feel scared, but it makes me feel shamed. Y'see, at the beginning of the year I participated in a class that stumbled upon the discussion of Generation Y, or my generation. In the class we talked about how Generation Y is taking longer to graduate, becoming more dependent on parents, moving back in with parents more often, and not as hard working. I don't want to diss my generation, but a lot of the time I feel like I don't quite fit the picture. I know that I'm a lot more dependent on my parents than I should be, but I try to be as independent as possible.
This kind of goes back to my fears I suppose. There are so many intelligent people out there, it's intimidating. I've read blogs of people who have graduated college early, I've heard stories where people get amazing scores on everything they do. I want people to look at me that way, you know? I want people to think, "Oh, what a great job she's done." Did I mention I'm hella narcissistic? Because I am. I crave attention, I can't help it.

Yeah. That's what's on my mind. Now it's time to take a shower. Late night Zumba!

How do you feel about how many years it takes to graduate?

2 comments:

  1. I think five years is totally acceptable - it gives you enough time to change your mind, take hard classes and wrap up all of your loose ends. Apparently it's the new four, so I wouldn't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I totally agree! Logically, I don't think there's anything wrong with 5 years. I walk perilously close to that every advisory session. But there's a bullish, vainglorious side of me that demands perfection.

    But perfection can totally be a bitch if it's not accompanied by happiness. When I'm otherwise happy -- like when I can come home to happy people and a positive atmosphere, it's much easier to push and strain without become burned out. I've experienced both. When you don't have happiness to go along with it, the "victory" of perfect grades and the like is bitter stuff.

    Ultimately, here's my take: only be ashamed if your prolonged education is because you spent all day long drinking frappaccinos and faffing about the mall. Otherwise, your just taking a testudo-type strategy rather than a cuneum formate one ;-).

    Oh, and regarding adaptations -- yeah, World War Z would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete