Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Interview with a Professor and Lack of Motivation

It's one of those weeks where it feels like it's gonna take forever, even though I know the weekend will sneak up on me. I wish it was sooner anyways.

I had a meeting with one of my professors today. Originally, I made the meeting so I could interview her for a project for FYE, but I also talked to her about my thesis. Talking to her ended up being a great thing, because she made me feel less guilty about not knowing what I want to do with my life yet. One of my interview questions had to do with what advice you would give a college student, and she mentioned this:
"You know, during graduation there's way too much pressure on students to automatically decide what they want with their life, with all of the asking of, 'What's your major?'. You should just explore everything, see college like a smorgasbord and try a little of everything."
This is exactly how I've been feeling as of late. It was nice hearing someone else thinks that way too.

The trip up to Seattle the other day made me realize that I really would enjoy a career that involves a lot of travel. I understand the downsides of not having a permanent spot, always being away from loved ones. It would stink since everyone needs people to be close to and family. However, I know that I would love it, and going through the process of traveling doesn't bother me. As I've gotten older, I've begun to crave new experiences like crazy, finding new worlds and such. I'll think about it.

Oh, today I was not feeling the running. I was thinking, "I don't want to do this, I don't want to!" But the other part of my brain was telling me, "You need to do this! You've signed up for that half marathon in January, and you need to train for it. No buts." And I did. And, as usual, I felt fantastic that I had run afterwards. I was super dehydrated, and had too much snot in my head, but I got it done. 4 miles in 40 minutes? Ten minute miles is good with me when at first I didn't even want to do it!
I didn't really think about this before, but the race says that you aren't allowed to have mp3 players during the run. This means I better start doing some runs without my trusty ipod... Truthfully, I run faster without music, but the run feels a lot longer. Better get over that! My Thursday run I'll run without it.

My aunt and grandma asked to take me out to lunch tomorrow. Don't know why, but it doesn't matter! She is one of my favorite aunts, and I adore my grandma.
I got my first follower today! But you probably already knew that, ha.
Birthday this Friday! Get excited.

What motivates you? What drives you?

No comments:

Post a Comment