Thursday, December 9, 2010

Winter Break, Christmas Songs and Positive Pessimistics

Ah, it's good to be home.

I am officially done with my first term of college. What a feeling eh? Actually, I don't know how to feel. I don't feel... different? I feel like it should feel bigger. Eh.

Now that winter break has begun, I feel like I should be able to talk about holiday things. Well, the real reasoning behind talking about holiday things is because of something that's been on my mind or the last two days, and that's Christmas songs.

All of these thoughts about Christmas songs began earlier in the week when my Christmas-obsessed hall began becoming more musical with their spirit. I like most Christmas songs, but there is one specific Christmas song that crushes my soul. That song is Last Christmas by Wham! Guess what song is the most loved by my hall mates. Oh yeah.

Yes, Last Christmas is a song that is loved by many. Just not me. I think the thing that bugs me about the song is that it just doesn't flow. I have trouble explaining it, but that's the best I can do. Just, no. I can't do it.

So what type of Christmas songs tickle my fancy? That brings us to the last episode of Glee. One of the songs that I have been listening to over and over from that episode was the song Baby It's Cold Outside sung by Kurt and Blaine. I love songs that remind me of 1920s/1930s, and this is one of those types of songs. If you use old fashioned words in your songs, points for you. Like swell. Swell is... well, a swell word.

Okay, I could just be on a Glee high. That was a good episode though.
One to a different subject, but another thing that has been on my mind. I was talking to a class mate about view on grades, and he said,
"I usually think that I'm gonna get bad grades, but then they turn out better than I think. It feels pretty awesome."
This made me wonder about the downside of thinking positively. I try to think I'm going to get a good grade, but then it turns out that my grade isn't what I think. I've also been terrified that a grade will be atrocious, but happily my grade is a lot better.

So here's my question. Is it better to be pessimistic about a grade and have it turn out better? Or, is it better to be optimistic about grades and then have them turn out worse?

Before I go, What's your favorite Christmas song? What's your least favorite Christmas song?

No comments:

Post a Comment