Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dear Diary

 One of the classes that I'm looking forward to this term is Theatre. Part of the reason is to get back into acting, which at the same time terrifies me. For this class, we are to write in a journal. It's mostly for class things, but it's also a personal journal to write in. She's explained that she's not going to read certain things intimently, she's only really going to skim. Therefore, we can write to our heart's desire.

Blogging is very different from writing in a journal.When I first started, I didn't know that. Well, I sort of did but I didn't know how different.

The biggest difference is the obvious one, and that is that you're writing for an audience in a blog. Even if you have no readers, even if you write just to write... you still have that idea in the back of your mind that someone else might be reading it. That means you have to censor yourself, and your thoughts have to be at least slightly coherent.

I know I'm not the best writer, and I'm practicing at it. Still, when it comes to blogging I at least try to write something that has pleasent sounding sentences. At least in my mind. How you write can make people want to read what you say. Or, make people want to stop reading. I stopped reading a blog once because she wrote LOL! all throughout her posts. Personally, I don't have the patience to read, "Then I went to the store to buy grapefruit LOL!"

The other thing that the audience does? It makes the writer censor themselves. Like I said before, anyone could read your blog. I have family members that read my blog. Would certain things be bad to say? Of course. Sometimes your audience is like that too. It's okay to know small details in a person's life, but some facts the whole world doesn't need to know about you.

I'm kind of excited about this little journal. I don't keep a journal currently, so it'll be nice to ramble and rant somewhere. (More than I do here.) The last few times I've kept journals were only because I started to have stupid crushes, and they died along with the crushes. They're also very embarrassing.

After I talk about how I should write coherently in posts, I write a rambly one? Good gosh, when will I learn?

Do you keep a journal? When was the last time you did?

No comments:

Post a Comment