Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Impressions, and How To Fail at Them

First Impressions. They can make or break you, can't they? Well, that's pretty much what we've been told all of our lives. Yet, I have had experiences where my first impression wasn't good but changed for the better. Still for the most part? First impressions affect you and your judgement.
I constantly think about first impressions, because I'm currently at a point in my life where I have to make a lot of first impressions. Trying out for something is a first impression. Job interviews are a first impression. Making friends is an obvious one. One which I still suck at.

I tend to over think the first impression, but sometimes my first impression can be a hilarious blunder. Really, 9 out of 10 times my first impression is awkward or just plain ridiculous.

Let me tell you a little tale of a first impression I made today that I happen to find ridiculous, even at the cost of my own pride.

The story starts with the fact that rest of The Valley (the general area of Oregon where I live) has snow. My town? Does not.
What we are greeted with is the delightful presence of rain. Yup. Just how Oregon winters usually are.
Frankly, I did not want to go running in the rain. It was cold, grey, and unpleasant no matter which way you looked at it. However, I got my butt out there and ran 4 miles. (and messed up my phone for awhile. It happens)

Coming back to the apartment I see one of my room mates leaving the apartment. I ask her what's up, and she says she's off to hang out with a friend. I bid her adieu and toss on a dry shirt with no bra. Hey, there's no one else in the apartment, and I'll go back to my room in a bit.

As I walk back to the kitchen, I hear my room mate come back in.
"Hello! This is my friend!"
"Uh...Hello."
"Hi, I'm so and so."

When she was looking for an umbrella, I assumed she was going over somewhere else to hang out. Apparently not before she and her friend needed to stop back in. Oh, the shirt I was wearing was one of those sports materials shirts, that happens to show lines of anything that's close to the fabric. Yup. Doing an awkward model hunch to hide the surprise under the shirt was necessary.

Chalk one up for another successful first impression.
Speaking of, I need to write a cover letter for a job. Hm. Not something I'd like to do.

What's one of the weirdest first impressions you've ever made?

1 comment:

  1. Oh man- I think every first impression I make is a weird one. I'm really awkward and shy and have NO idea what to say to people when I first meet them, so I probably come across as really rude and strange.

    ReplyDelete