Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Following Your Dreams

Wednesday. OH man. They are a busy one. Three meetings in a row? Yup yup. (That's not the only reason, but still.)

Earlier today I was reading another one of those "inspirational follow your dreams" stories. You may have heard of them. It's where after years of being miserable in a job, the person quits and does what they've always dreamed of. I've read about it in at least three blogs. The whole point of the story is that you shouldn't have to suffer through a job you hate for the rest of your life, because you could be gone the next day. Follow your dreams. Open that shop you always dreamed of. Become a full time blogger.

People see stories like this all of the time, and sometimes they go for it. I respect it. I also know that you have to be smart about it though.
Maybe it's realistic, maybe it's pessimistic. Still, a lot of the times when I think about things like this I think of Kirsten Wiig's bakery in Bridesmaids. You know, her dream that went out of business. I've heard of the same thing happening in real life. However, at the same time I don't think that people plan enough ahead for their dreams sometimes. You have to save. You have to have a good chunk of money just in case things don't pan out.

I fully intend to follow my dreams. There's only one problem: I'm not really sure what that is. Sure, there are jobs that I dream of, but I don't have a lot of skills in the field. I'd love to be on SNL, or be a writer for comedy but... I can't write, and I'm an okay actor. The whole Duck TV thing was taken down a peg when at the meeting we were told that they didn't have enough actors... so yeah.
I'd also just like to work with producing a show. I like planning out my days too.
However, my dreams are always changing. Heck, two years ago I wanted to be a cartoonist. Hence the iffiness on dreams.

Is it weird to say I'm still deciding on my dreams? Because I still am. Well, I guess that's why I'm trying things.

'Scuse me, I have to go pass out now.

What's your dream job?

3 comments:

  1. I just want to write. Whether it be for a magazine, newspaper, tv show, etc. And I'd love to have a book!

    But yeah, I totally understand that you don't entirely know what to do. And I agree that dreams are usually iffy. Sometimes I still think it would be cool to have a bakery. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your observations are very astute! I completely agree. It's necessary to follow your dreams...but you can't be stupid or hell-for-leather about it. It's like...if you wanted to skydive, you wouldn't suddenly don a parachute and jump out of a plane. You'd research it first and get someone to show you how.

    The only real way to figure out -what- you want to do is to just do it. I highly recommend doing something at your school (like a campus TV channel) or a real-life internship. That's when you'll find out how much you really like it. And always give it a little time. I hated interning in PR for like...a month. Then suddenly I fell in love with it.

    And don't think there's only one avenue for you! Some people want only one thing. But others have a few things. Personally, I love PR and journalism. So sleep around job-wise! (er...not at your job of course!) You'll never know how your thoughts will change.

    Ugh...sorry if I sound preachy. I'm just getting all nostalgic now that my college years are drawing to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take heart. I still have no idea of what my "Dream" is either. Someday the inspiration will strike. Until then, the best we can do is say yes to opportunities, hoping that one of them is The Door.

    ReplyDelete