Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Need To See Entertainment

On the quest to becoming someone who actually knows what movies are being quoted in situations, I've been renting/checking out movies like a storm.

The thing is, I like to add to my pretentious movie cred. However, there are also many movies that aren't "critically acclaimed", but that all of my life I've heard I must see. Maybe it's quoted constantly, or maybe it's a movie that touched a lot of people. The bottom line is, it's a movie that, "I can't believe you haven't seen!"

For me, some of the movies included Moulin Rogue and Donnie Darko. There are still a lot of movies that I need to see just because, "You've got to see it!"

Here are a few of my "Need to See" movies:
Schindler's List- Okay, this is another pretentious movie cred one but my cousin shunned me for not seeing it.
Milk: I've had multiple chances, but I've almost stayed away just because I know it ends sadly. Still, a lot of people I know say it's great.
Top Gun: It's a classic!
Spaceballs: It seems to be mentioned so much, I feel a little guilty for not seeing it.
Most of the Earlier Star Wars: I've seen most of the "first" one, but I hadn't until my senior year in class. (End of the school year, mostly seniors who the teacher had nothing else to do with us.) This is shocking for me just because I've had so many friends OBSESSED with Star Wars, quoting it constantly. I played along for years... It's a bit shameful.

There are a million more, but they're in the back of my head. Soon, someone will mention another, and I'll guiltily play along with knowing what they're talking about. For now, I'll see what I can.

I checked out West Side Story, so perhaps now I can sing "I Feel Pretty", and know what it actually comes from.

What movies are ones that you "need to see"?

2 comments:

  1. My cousin had never seen Schindler's List and she asked her family if they could watch it together on Christmas. Probably don't do it that way. Too depressing.

    I've never seen...Lawrence of Arabia and Some Like It Hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVE to watch Star Wars!! My brother was obsessed when we were kids so I grew up watching them and I still have a soft spot in my heart for the early films. Also- West Side Story is my favorite movie of all time, so good choice :)

    I watched Schindler's List in an English class my first year of college and had to stop myself from sobbing in certain scenes... probably not a good movie to watch with a lot of other people, haha.

    ReplyDelete