Thursday, January 5, 2012

Eating Your Veggies

As school creeps closer, the planning for how I'm going to eat when I'm back to the apartment.

I spent part of today cutting up fruit and veggies, as to have them ready when I need them. One of the easiest ways to eat healthy? Cut up things in advanced. Obvious information, right? Still, we tend to forget.

One healthy habit that I want to try this term? Eating more vegetarian meals. I used to not eat very many vegetarian meals simply due to the fact that many I found didn't have very good sources of protein. For me, I need protein. If I don't, I tend to get hungry again quickly. The types of meals I saw were just a lot of cheese, or maybe only some veggies as substitutes. Not good.
However, during this last term I happened to make some veggie-only curry and you know what? It kept me satisfied. Another time vegetarian food filled me up was last year when I had a tofu wrap from WOU's cafeteria. It tasted good because it had different flavors, and more texture than mushy tofu. I just need to make vegetarian food with proteins like beans and tofu. I mean, I've already been having vegetarian meals for breakfast almost every morning.

At the same time, I don't ever want to go full on vegetarian. For one, I like meat far too much. Pulled pork? Yumm... The other reason is that I don't want to be limited on what I can eat.
I know. I KNOW. The whole vegetarian community shouts out at that comment, "You're never limited! There are plenty of ways to eat vegetarian, and you actually get a chance to be more creative!" And I agree, many vegetarians I've seen are a lot more creative with food. Still, I hate the idea of going somewhere I having to say, "Oh, I can't eat that because..." I mean, you'd never be able to be a judge on Iron Chef America!
Actually, I'd probably never be able to do that now that I'm allergic to shrimp and crab. Yes, I will bitch about that until the day I die. (Then again, what would my chances of being a judge be in the first place? I can dream, can't I?)

Anywho. Back to the whole vegetarian meals thing. I'd like to make a few more meals veggie for two reasons: Cost and health. Meat is always what adds up in my grocery list. That... and veggies. But things like lentils and garbanzo beans? Cheap cheap. At the same time, I've been seeing a lot of things talking about how it's good to incorporate vegetarian meals to improve your health.

More vegetarian meals. That's the plan.

Although in all reality, I'm probably going to end up making scrambled eggs for most meals again like last term. 'Cause I'm like a sad bachelor who happens to bake bread.

How often do you eat vegetarian/Are you vegetarian? What influences you to eat vegetarian or meat?

No comments:

Post a Comment