Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Strugglebus and Being The President

Having a day off really messes with your mind. I keep thinking that it's Tuesday, and clearly it's not.

Speaking of that, I've been a strugglebus for this whole week. I realize you may not know what strugglebus means. It's a phrase created by my sister and one of my aunts to express that you are... well, struggling. Such as things that shouldn't take much effort are extremely difficult. The phrase is based on buses and cars that you see that look like they're barely able to putt along the road. This week has definitely been a strugglebus week. I stayed up late on Monday night to finish an assignment, and I haven't really gotten that sleep back. Also, I may be getting sick. Not a good thing.

Today I've been thinking about politics and such, mainly because we talked about it in one of my classes. There was another reason why, but I don't quite remember. Now, I'm not here to talk about political views, arguments, and all of that. I'm not really in the mood for argument or debate. What I do want to talk about is the President. I'm not just talking about the current president, I'm talking about the job of being a president.

When I was younger, I thought that being president would be an extremely amazing job. I remember reading So You Want To Be a President?, thinking, "Yes! Yes I do want to be president!" However, as I've gotten older, I've realized that being president would be a terrible job. I have two main reasons why.

Reason one? No matter how hard you try, no matter how many things you do, there will always be a group of people who hate you. I don't think I can ever think of a president who is an exception to this rule, and I don't expect to. You see, any party you are a part of is against another party. Well, duh but this leads to the point that there's always a group from the opposing side that doesn't like your face. Actually, they might like your face, but not what you stand for.

Reason two? First of all, you know that new POTC movie that's out? (which I saw last weekend). Anyway, the story is about the Fountain of Youth. Presidency is the complete opposite of that.
Perhaps you've heard the stories of terrible stress that many of the presidents have gone through. I want to say it's Eisenhower that was photographed in the war room with his head hanging low (I could be wrong, I'm not very good at remembering presidents), due to the stress caused by the war. Along with at least one group of people hating you, the president has a lot of stress to deal with. War, money, laws, all of that jazz. Much of the population might believe that the president has a lot more power than he actually has. Really, there are a lot of people all around him that make decisions about what's going down.
Anywho, about the aging thing? If you look at Obama at the beginning of his term, and where he is now... it's really depressing. I'd show pictures, but I can't find any good examples.

Therefore, as I've grown up I've had my political dreams crushed. In all actuality, the president can do some pretty great things. The president can bring hope, can affect the people emotionally... There's more that presidents can do obviously, but as I have very little knowledge in politics, I can't think of any good specifics.

That's what I've been thinking about today! Also, another fort was made in the hall. This time it was for a contest. We were the honorable mention. Meh. Hope everyone has a lovely evening!

Would you ever want to be President? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. I would never want to be president because I very much enjoy my private life!

    Also, today my entire run was a giant #struggle. Like I was just DYING. Goodness.

    ReplyDelete