Sunday, June 19, 2011

Right Idea, Wrong Time and 10,000 Hours

My talent for having the right idea at the wrong time is at full power apparently.

Confused? Let me explain.

As you know, on Friday I went up to go get a textbook for my summer class. One of the two things I needed to get done while up there was that, and they just happened to be taking inventory.
"Well, you don't really need it yet. I mean, what are you going to do with it beforehand, look at it?" my sister told me.
"I guess you're right," I replied.

Hmm. Actually, I do need it. Looking over the syllabus, I noticed that we have homework due the first day of class. Hoo boy. That just means I have to get up there as soon as the bookstore opens, then finish the homework in the hour and a half before class. That's all I can do.

The second instance of the right idea at the wrong time happened today, when I went into town to go get books from my mom's business. I had the key... To her part of the building. Did I have a key to the entire building? No. Pish.

In other thought processes, I've been thinking about the 10,000 hours concept. The idea is that you need to spend at least 10,000 hours working on a skill to become an expert in it. Being very type A personality, I want to get a start on that as soon as possible. The only problem with that is I don't know what skill I'd like to develop.

Oh geez. It sounds like I'm talking about majors. Similar though, isn't it?

What's your 10,000 hour skill?

No comments:

Post a Comment