Thursday, June 2, 2011

Running Worries and Favorite Classes

Tomorrow is scary. Events are occurring, I need to do my long run tomorrow... Gah. But that's tomorrow, let's think about today, shall we?

Actually, speaking of running, I am oddly sore. Really, I'm all off on my running mojo. This may be the reason I'm a little spooked on my long run tomorrow. However, what really worried me is what happened after my run this morning. Apparently, I was a lot hungrier than I thought I was after my run, because I got really light headed. Usually, I have some fruit before my run, and that's enough until after my run then later eat something else. While waiting for my food to cook today after my run though, I started to get dizzy. It wasn't until I was over at the dining hall that this started to happen, which makes it even weirder. Luckily, I got some juice in me for a quick fix until my food was ready. Still... worrisome.

A question that I've been asked, as I'm sure many of you have been asked has been, "What's been your favorite class in college?"
Before recently, I had no answer to this. I also understand that my opinions on what my favorite class has been will most likely change because I'll have taken many more classes. Alas, I believe that I've come up with an answer to this:
History of Fashion.
I'm not even sure if the time spent during the class has counted as my favorite class time. It's not necessarily about that though. I love the knowledge that I'm getting from the class. There are so many different types of clothing, and so many things look quite similar. On the other hand, there are so many things that I'd seen before and did not have a name for.
Plus, if you've never heard me say it before, I'll say it again. I love spouting out facts. This class has been perfect for that.

"Did you know the only women who wore togas were prostitutes or fallen women?"
"That shoe is called a Chopine, and it looks like a hoof. It's from the Elizabethan period. Also, during the Restoration period red shoes meant you were of nobility."
"People have worn some weird outfits. Do you want to see pictures of them, and see what they're called? Because I totally have pictures."
"Geez I want to wear an Ionic Chiton. Also a Fontage. They are so ridiculous, it's amazing."

I feel like I've become such a costume nerd, and I love it. For instance, when watching POTC, I was seriously thinking (and muttering, 'cause I'm a little crazy and I feel like it's necessary I speak my thoughts), these things:
"Hmm, he's wearing a Waistcoat and a Cassock coat. Oh, there's a Tricorne. Wigs! Ha, no wonder we call the Restoration period the Pirates of the Caribbean period. Dangit, what are the women's dresses called again? (It was a Manteau gown. I keep on forgetting those.) I think that's a Great coat..."

See? Costume nerd. Now, I don't know if this fasination with naming off costume parts will continue on after this class is over. Will I care after I no longer require the knowledge? I hope so.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, this is a Fontage:


It's the hat. Yeah.
It's a hat that so ridiculous it was made fun of even when it was in fashion. I think an example of that today would be Uggs. Or better yet, pants with writing on the rear.

That's what has been on my mind for the day. I've got a packed next two days! Goodness. Starting to get super nervous about tomorrow... We'll see how that turns out.

What was your favorite class in college?

No comments:

Post a Comment