Monday, June 6, 2011

Having Time To Do All of The Nothing You Want

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It's finals week. Strangely enough, it doesn't really feel like it due to the fact that I don't have any finals until Wednesday. Therefore, it's pretty much been a long weekend for me. The feeling I'm getting is that it's summer break, or any of the vacation breaks. I still have to think about. School? What are you talking about? There's nothing else to study!

I know that I didn't write about a thing I learned from a fictional character, and today I'm almost copying something that I'd written before. However, it's in a different context this time I believe, and it fits with thoughts from today.

Getting ready to travel back to the dorms from home once again, I decided to mosey on out to the porch in the backyard. I laid out on a chair, reading a magazine at first, but ended up simply laying there. The leaves in the trees and the wind worked together to create a tune, birds happily flew around. I let myself think about anything I wanted to think about, without the influence of anything like a computer. It was fantastic.

 This brings me to an idea brought about by a certain comic character named Calvin. I've mentioned this line before, as I've said.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."

I'm not sure I really got it right when I first thought about it. Sometimes doing nothing feels good. But another thing that this line makes me think of is time in general. I'm pretty sure most people start to get thoughts like, "Oh, I'll start that project when I have time next weekend", or "I'm totally going to start eating healthier when the summer starts." I don't think there's a soul out there who is not guilty of this. Hell, I've done it plenty of times. Sometimes it's procrastination... Actually, it's mostly procrastination. We always thing we have more time to finish a paper, to plan an event, to prepare a speech, to do nothing. Of course, it's never as long as we'd like. Did you know it's been scientifically proven that as we age, time seems to speed up. So when your parents say something feels like it just happened yesterday, it's a lot different from when you think it felt just like yesterday. Why summers felt so long when you were a kid? That exact reason.

The main idea that I think this line is saying is this: Time flies, and you're always going to want more of it to do what you want. With that, it makes sense that the idea of living every moment to the fullest is a good idea.

I know I don't use every moment of my life as well as I should. I know I waste time, participate in mediocre activities instead of incredible ones. Still, it's good to just spend a little bit of time doing nothing.

With my thoughts outside during my nothingness time, I thought about typewriters too. I wish I was one of those wise, witty writers that would sit outside and write their great next story. Besides being a super amazing writer, I just think having a typewriter would be cool. Don't get me wrong, I love my computer but computers have the Internet. The Internet is so distracting! I know, you might say "What about pen and paper?", but there's just something about typing that sometimes feels so much more fulfilling.

What type of "nothing" time do you wish you had more of?

1 comment:

  1. Right now I wish I had more time to blog and pack because I'm trying to get everything arranged so that the next two and a half weeks are smooth and we're not quite there yet - I don't know where I'm going to make the time come from!

    ReplyDelete