Thursday, June 23, 2011

Creating and Protecting Memory

My weekend has officially begun! YES!

There have been studies on how we save memories, and why we remember certain things so well. For instance, it's much easier to recall exactly where you were when a tragedy occurs like when 9/11 happened. I for one can remember where I was when I saw the terrifying incident. However, this isn't about sad memories. It's about weird memories, good memories and silly memories.

I was thinking about the first time I heard certain songs on the radio recently. For most songs, I can't really recall where I was when I first heard it, but there are two songs I remember exactly where I was when I first heard it.

First there was "Forget You" by Cee Lo Green. I was driving back to school on evening, and all of a sudden I heard that song come on the air. I thought that the radio waves had accidentally gotten mixed up or something. It was so different from the poppy stuff that was usually on the air. I didn't think about it much afterwards until I started hearing other people play it.

The other one? Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl (And I Liked It)" Or whatever the real title of that song is. Anywho, when I first heard it, I didn't think it was real. I thought it was one of those stunts radio stations do along with their terrible radio shows or something. I even remember the exact road I was driving on. As soon as I got home, I exclaimed to my sister, "You can't believe this song they played on the radio!" I looked up her other stuff, and there were some weird music videos I found... like one with a barbie doll getting revenge on a jerk ken doll. Or something like that. When I heard it, I never thought I would hear the song again, let alone hear of that Katy girl ever again. Ha!

As far as everyday memory, I am terrible at remembering anything. I forget names like crazy, I get lost because I never remember directions... Goodness. I really want to get better at remembering things. Repetition helps, right? What else helps memory?

Today was another one of those go go go days, ya know? I stuffed in a seven mile run right before work... which ended up going to work only with a washed faced and impromptu sponge bath-type thing. Yeah, that doesn't help the situation with my face breaking out lately.

So once again, I ask you: How do you improve memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment