Wednesday, June 22, 2011

There's a Fine Line Between...

There's a fine line between            and             .

You could fill those spaces with just about anything. Here's just a few:

There's a fine line between doing things for yourself because you should and doing things for yourself because you're selfish.
There's a fine line between a little indulgence and being a pig.
There's a fine line between standing up for yourself and being overly sensitive.

I've heard this type of phrase everywhere, and I'm almost positive that all of you out there have heard of it as well. This goes along with the idea of doing everything in moderation, but it's still a hard concept to figure out. No one knows what that line is. It's a vague goal that everyone strives for, yet not necessarily given a standard of what that is. Basically, it's like someone comes up to you and says, "I want you to find a ball. Not just any ball, but a specific one. It has no distinct markings on it, and no one knows where it is located. All we know is that it's red. Good luck!"

Yeah, I know that all of those "fine line" situations aren't that ridiculous, but some of them certainly feel like it.
It would be nice to simply know the answer to where the line lays. Sure, we get help with this from experience and the people around us.  That's the whole, "It's the journey, not the destination," talk. Makes sense, but... pish.

I suppose really the main thing I have to say is that life is weird. Like we didn't already know that. The main reason I've been thinking about things like this is because lately I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life. Am I living it right? Should I be doing things differently? Am I         ? Yeah, you know the drill.

Other than that, just another day of class and such. Now time to figure out how I'm going to fit a seven mile run in tomorrow, because it's going to be like Tuesday.

What's the most ridiculous "There's a fine line between..." phrase you've ever heard?

No comments:

Post a Comment