Sunday, October 30, 2011

Life As A Duck: Halloween Weekend Celebrations

As night draws closer, it's obvious that it's time to get back to reality. I always have a nice time escaping reality for a bit though.

Funny that "Halloween" weekend is ending. Truth be told, there will probably be festivities tonight but I'm not participating. 8:00 AM class and a paper due tomorrow? Yeah, that's what I'm all about tonight.

This all brings me to another installment of Life As a Duck: Halloween Edition!

From what I've been told by the locals, there are two weekends that are the craziest here on campus. Those nights include the first week of school with all of the freshmen, and the other is Halloween.

For Halloween weekend, you don't have to venture far to find some shin-dig going on. As for the person who lives there, you're bound to have a connection somehow. For instance, my group stopped at this guy's house I needed to make an appearance at, and my sister ended up seeing someone she knew. Oh, the connections of college.
Don't worry, I didn't randomly show up to people's houses that I didn't have any connection to. That would just be weird.

Halloween here? A complete 180 from anything at WOU. Even if I did know people living in houses over there (Well, more than 1), I honestly don't think it could have been anything close to down here. Especially since, y'know people are actually walking around at night over here. Last year, I went down to OSU for festivities. Which is exactly what everyone else does, or to U of O.

Things I've learned and or seen from my last two nights include...
  • A lot of people don't like to costume repeat. I was totally a costume repeated, but I'm fine with that. I like my Jolly Rancher dress. Twas a good conversation piece.
  • How to Cat Daddy. Yeah.
  • You will find many very lazy people at these parties. Meaning not even trying to put a costume together. Mostly guys are guilty of this, just because at least most girls try and wear nice dresses when they have nothing together. A guy from my WR class was wearing what I'm pretty sure he wore to class earlier that day. C'mon boys! Make it fun! Out of this group is the pretentious guy who comments, "Oh, I didn't think it was Halloween tonight. Am I wrong?" Of course it's not, but the only reason you're not dressed up is because you're lazy. No one likes that person.
  • Two Asian exchange students took a picture with me because they liked my costume. Well okay.
  • A drunk out of his gourd twelve-year-old who was about 3 miles away from his house with no money. At least he looked twelve. It was a little troubling. He talked like this: "Yeah, my bros left me, and I was just trying to find some sn*tch, you know what I'm sayin'?" I wish I was kidding.
  • A guy who looks a lot like Justin Long, who I will call Marty from now on even though that's not his name. What can I say, if you introduce yourself with that name the first time, and I've been meeting a lot of people with your real name anyway, I'm going to call you Marty.
  • I love seeing people from random things I know at places I wouldn't expect. Pretty much the way I started every conversation was what a person's costume was, so that led me to a guy dressed as Ron Swanson. Little did I realize it was a guy I'd talked to at APO! Like I said, random connections.
  • I'm such a sucker for play on word costumes. I know they usually don't take that much effort, but I still love 'em. French toast was clever, and Quarter Pounder with Cheese? Nice. (He had quarters taped to his pocket and used a hammer to "pound" them.) Probably why I liked my sister's Friday costume so much. She was dressed all nicely and had a sign around her neck saying "I'm Sorry". She was a formal apology. I love it! Yes, you can judge.
  • In the ways of the introvert, this weekend filled my quota of festivities for awhile. I love people, and I love going out to things, but it takes a chunk outta ya, especially me. Time to rest, recharge, and get pumped for a bit of chilling out. ...Except for worrying about that Economics midterm on Tuesday. Oh geez.
I know there's probably more, but I've already talked enough. Besides, I need to get some sleep. As for the actual night's festivities? I'm going to hand out candy at my aunt's house, and I'm actually really excited. I kind of love handing out candy, and you get to see all of the adorable costumes kids wear. Kids don't dress slutty, college kids do. That means more creativity, and I'm all about the creative costumes.

As a last thought, I know that I didn't post last night. I didn't forget either. However, when I got home I sat down, looked at the blank post screen and thought, "Yeah, this isn't going to happen." It was probably for the best, as I took to the call of the pillow as soon as the computer was shut.

Is it really time for the school week to start? Well... okay.

What exciting things did you do for this "Halloween" weekend?

1 comment:

  1. If I had a dollar for every party I went to in college where one of us would run into another totally random person that we never expected to find at the party, or even KNEW was connected, I would be totally rich. What a fun Halloween!

    ReplyDelete