Saturday, October 15, 2011

Entering the Season

Seasons can be pretty meaningful for many people. There are seasons like fall that people enjoy for the cooler weather and falling leaves Then there are other seasons like the season of giving, which can start right around Thanksgiving and end after Christmas. Basically, there are seasons for everything, and right now there is no exception.

We've officially entered what I'd like to call Fat Season.

Fat season is known to many, but most people don't call it that. They call it the Holiday Season, yet a lot of women know it's a time of food, food, and more food.

I'm not saying it's a bad season. Once this season kicks into high gear, it includes time spent with family, fun free time, and happy memories. On the other hand, why do you think so many people make New Year's resolutions to lose weight? Two words: Fat Season.

There's delicious food everywhere, and food is given as gifts for many people. Don't think that people are going to be making healthy food, unless you proclaim to everyone that that's all you want. The truth in that statement is you're probably going to want the junk food, and most people will end up giving it to you anyway.
Yes, I've read the articles. Thanksgiving is only one day, don't make it into a week. You don't have to have food as gifts. We try, and as anyone knows, it's hard. Still, we try. That's all we really can do, right?

I'm not going to deny that there are always roadblocks in the way of healthy eating. Fat season might be a time where it's harder, but you're almost always going to have temptations to behave badly (with your food choices). Fat season is just a little harder.

You might be wondering why my fat season starts so early. That's because that's when the celebrations begin.
Yesterday was my sister's birthday, and there have been many an opportunity to celebrate. Her birthday marks the start of my Fat Season. The week after her birthday comes my birthday, meaning more treats. A week passes, then it's Halloween! My favorite candy in fun sized packaging? Yes please.

The season goes into a bit of a lull, then picks back up just in time for a few birthdays and Thanksgiving. Next of course is Christmas, and you know the time in between that is crazy. Top it off with New Year's, and you've got yourself another Fat Season come and gone. You're welcome.

I love when this celebration season starts, but I'm not looking to celebrate with some pals known as flubber attached to my body. I think I'll challenge Fat Season. I'm not sure what the challenges will be other than not gaining weight, but I'll make them. Hopefully Fat Season won't get to y'all either.

Bring it on, Fat Season.

When does your Fat Season start?

1 comment:

  1. I think my fat season hits in August (the corn comes in and I eat an ear a day) and runs through Rosh Hashanah and then tapers off until Thanksgiving when it strikes again.

    ReplyDelete