Friday, September 2, 2011

Unwelcome to the Week of Welcome

I know I said this yesterday, but I still can't get over the fact that it's September. That just makes me think of all of the things I need to do before school starts! Moving in, getting books, getting everything together for the first days of school... So much to do! One of the things that isn't really at the top of my "School is here" to do list is Week of Welcome.

Most colleges that I've heard of have a Week of Welcome, where activities for new students happen. These events are created for freshmen and transfers, but honestly they're mostly for freshmen. Which is why I'm not participating in the activities during said week.

Another part of the thing that makes me not want to go has to do with Facebook. Apparently, a lot of the people in the grade below me decided to attend this school, and I keep seeing statuses like this:
"Ohmigosh, Week of Welcome is gonna be SO COOL."
"I know! We'll make it awesome, and we'll hang out even though we never hung out in high school! Woo!"

I don't really want to hang out with the high school class below me. It would just be awkward.

Still, the hanging out with all of the younger high schoolers isn't the only factor of me not going. I also know how these things work, and they're not that amazing.

During my New Student Week at Western, I was happily screamed at by PLUS team members. I met people in a rush during "meeting games", and instantly forgot their names because there was no time to think. I listened to a lot of weird speeches, many with points about being raped as a child and overcoming it. More than I needed to hear. Also, what did they have to do with college? Nothing. It was just strange.

I don't need to go to sessions on being in college, I went to those last year. Despite some weird things, it was alright my freshman year. I just don't need it this year.

Did you participate in a Week of Welcome for your school? What was it like?

No comments:

Post a Comment