Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The People Behind the Smile

Despite the lack of taking care of other physical features (the hair), I managed to get one part of my body into tip top shape. I had a dentist appointment.

I always find it weird that you have to make dentist appointments so far in advance. Yes, I realize that the dentist has to schedule in a lot, but by the time you have your appointment you might end up having something else you need to do for that day. Anywho.

I've always had a weird relationship with the people who work on my teeth. When I was younger, I hated the dentist. I liked the clean feeling my teeth had after my appointment, but that was it. The gums being stabbed repeatedly was something that I didn't enjoy. Oh, and my teeth were usually fine. Just whenever they used the scraper, I felt like they kept poking my gums with it. Plus, there was that time with the cavity.

While using the scraper, a slight tap hit my tooth. I cringed. The dental assistant then decided to STAB that area again and ask nonchalantly, "Oh, does that hurt?"

YES. Yes that does hurt. Stabbing something that hurts usually isn't the best way to go about making it not hurt.

This won't hurt a bit... unless I want it to hurt.
So, I've always had a bit of disliking for the dentist. However, this is where it gets a little weird.

I think orthodontists are awesome. For the longest time, I wanted to be an orthodontist.Heck, I still think it would be a cool job, and not just because of the bucks. For a girl who hates the dentist, why the orthodontist love?  Because they make teeth straight and beautiful! Okay, dentist do a lot of things to make your teeth great too, but... I just can't show them the same love.
To me, it's like orthodontists help you through a transformation.Slowly but surely, the Caterpillar of crooked teeth will become a butterfly. Or straight teeth, whatever.

Your teeth after braces.
I even remember the names of two different types of retainers. Spring clip and hawley. Yuppers.
A hawley style retainer. Looking up pictures made me realize I'd been spelling it wrong.
Now the dentist and I are on alright terms. I don't really like to go, but I'm fine with it now. Besides, my teeth apparently are still looking good.

Before we go, fun fact about my teeth: I still have two of my baby teeth in my mouth. My adult teeth just never came in. They've told me that I'm going to need implants in the future but for now I'm happy to have what appears to be a normal smile. The only thing that really seems terrifying is that one day when I don't expect it, a tooth might fall out. Classy.
So did you catch that episode of- *pop!* OH God.
Do you like the dentist or orthodontist? What's a weird thing about your teeth?

1 comment:

  1. When I was little I LOVED going to the dentist. Ironically now that I'm older, I'm more suspicious of the situation.

    ReplyDelete