Friday, August 19, 2011

Old Person Syndrome and Blackberries

Getting close to bedtime so I'll be fresh for tomorrow's run.... Good lord, I'm an old person. Other examples include:
  • Getting ticked at teenagers. (In my defense, they were sitting in the middle of the freakin' road.
  • Buying a single piece of fruit. I needed a snack for work!
  • Waking up early on most days automatically.
I am what they call old people. Old people is an adjective now apparently.

Being a lovely summer day, I knew that today I needed to do something I've been anticipating all summer. Today was the day to go pick blackberries.

Every summer I look forward to picking blackberries. It's not just that they're delicious, but they feel like such a special treat. I think it's because of the hunt. It takes time, effort, and the willingness to get scraped up to collect them. The prize is making cobbler, and it just makes it that much sweeter knowing it took more effort to make it than usual.

It always feels like someone has gotten all of the blackberries before you wherever you go, doesn't it? Maybe that's just me. I suppose it is already the 19th, but shouldn't there still be quite a bit out there? I don't know. For me, it seemed like the only blackberries that were good were on the tall tall branches, or underneath prickle upon prickle. Truthfully, I always look like I've lost a fight with a cacti after I go venturing for blackberries.

I ended up not staying out for very long, and probably got about 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups worth. Can I make cobbler out of that? I guess it could be a small one, and it shall be made on Sunday.

I'm nervous but relaxed about tomorrow. I know I can reach my goal, but it's just scary.

What fruit or veggie do you love to go out and pick? What's your favorite thing to make from it?

1 comment:

  1. Story of my life, most days I feel like I'm channeling either a 30 year old or a 50 year old. Neither of those are anywhere NEAR the age of 23.

    Keep it crotchety, girl!

    ReplyDelete