Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Dealing With Other People's Problems

Throughout my life, I've seen relatives act tougher when they're at their weakest, despite everyone else pointing out the obvious. The best example of this would be my grandma. She's gotten sick before, and ever while everyone else worries about her health, she brushes it aside. Does she worry? I don't know, I'm not in her head but I do know that she tries to make whatever problem she has not look like such a  big deal.
I know my mom does that, and I do too. Not as bad as my grandma, but it still can be pretty bad. Which leads me to ask: Why is it that we get so worked up about our family members getting sick/injured/etc, but when it comes to us we tell everyone not to worry?
I think maybe it's because we think about all of the other problems that our family members have to deal with themselves. If they're worrying about me, who's going to solve their problems?
Or not. I dunno. I'm tired, and continuously working on BS homework assignments.

This new Spanish teacher is awful.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a hard one - I think that it's because when it's a loved one, we're major empathizers, but when it's us, we don't want to seem weak or unable to cope with whatever shitty hand of cards life has dealt us.

    ReplyDelete