Monday, August 15, 2011

The Future Tense and the Conditional Tense

Gee, it's been awhile since I've talked about a lesson that a fictional character has taught me... but that's not going to happen today either. I simply don't have any lessons I can recall at the moment. So let's move on.4

Ah, I'm so excited that it's the last week of Spanish. After this, no more language classes ever! No more nights of piles of meaningless assignments. Lovely. Truthfully, I brought up the Spanish to talk about what we've been working on lately.

In Spanish (and English as well), there are two different types of future tenses. There's the Future Tense (duh), and the Conditional Tense. The Future tense is a tense that is used when we know that something is going to occur in the future, such as:
"I will go to the bank" or
"They will dance at the party."

For the Conditional, it's the future as well but it's what you would do in the future. It's not a for sure thing:
"They would bring it to the store tomorrow."
"I would speak to him if I could."

Why do I bring this up you ask? Well, I've simply got to wonder which version of the word is used with hopes and dreams?

Because let's think about it. Are you definitely going to become a musician when you grow up? How about how many children you're going to have? It's just a weird concept.

As for dreams and desires, I've been thinking about them a lot lately. Yeah, I need to live in the moment I know. However, with thinking about these dreams and goals, it's been making me think, "Why do we all wait and wait and wait to even think about going for our dreams?"
I use travel as my example. There are some days where I simply think, "I could just pack up some things and go on an impromptu road trip. Just me, the road, and the world." After that initial thought, reality sets in. "I have school, and a job, and how would my running schedule be affected?" We throw so many roadblocks in our way, don't we? It makes sense to think about one's responsibilities, but at the same time we don't want to be stuck, right?

All I know is that I don't want to be looking back on my life regretting how few adventures I had.

What are some goals you know you will achieve in your future? What are some goals you hope you achieve?

1 comment:

  1. Oh god...tenses. I suck at doing grammatical diagramming in English so, it never really resonated with me when we switched into French, you know?

    My biggest goal right now is knocking down a TON of tiny house projects we have like, re-arranging the office and getting new light fixtures.

    ReplyDelete