Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let's Put Things Into Perspective...

The universe sure has an interesting way with timing.

I'm not going to talk about what happened today in my life, but all I can say is that I am blessed. I know that lately, I've been kind of whiny over here in the blog world, and I definitely want to slap myself every time I realize that because honestly? I have gotten incredible opportunities and chances in my life. The reason behind saying the universe has interesting timing has to do with a couple of factors. The first one came yesterday when I read a quote in Reader's Digest (Just another example of how I'm actually an old person in disguise.) The quote was:
"If I don't ask 'Why me?' after my victories, I cannot ask 'Why me?' after my setbacks and disasters."

Of course when I read that, I was in the complete opposite mindset, but I remembered it later today. It's easy to ask "Why me?" when something bad happens, but "Why me?" does fit when you end up in a lucky situation.

The second part of the universe's bitchslap back into reality came right before I started my post tonight. Reading over some of the posts in my blogroll, I saw this post from Gingersnaps. If you read the whole thing, it's pretty much what I'm trying to convey right now... well, except the raw milk situation. Mainly the section that starts off saying "I'm really lucky". (Written much more eloquently than I could write. Geez, is eloquently even a word?)

Anywho. I know I'm lucky, and I know that I want to do something with my life. I know there are people out there who are as lucky as I am, yet would be happy asking for money for the rest of their lives, be lazy, or complain about everything that isn't tip top. You can find many of these people here.
For me, I want to be able to do everything that I'm capable of doing. I have working legs? Why not train for a marathon! I'm able to go to college? Why not strive for good grades so I'm able to have more opportunities?

Yeah, sometimes it's good to get a slap in the face from the universe because let's face it, you really don't want to be this person:

This... This just makes me nauseous.
People usually look at how they're blessed on holidays and such, but it's probably a good idea to think about it every once in awhile.

How is your life lucky or blessed?

2 comments:

  1. Heya! Hehe,yes, eloquently is very much a word. My Chrome spellcheck says so!

    Yeah, it's great to realize how lucky we are. I mean, I might be getting to be a dinosaur, but you're still young and spry. We have such great opportunities ahead. They just need to be snagged/caught/stolen/yanked from their mothers' arms. We owe it to ourselves!

    It's sad the summer's almost over. I hope you have a lovely new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Friday when I got my job offer, I felt SO blessed. It was overwhelming, really. I think the burden comes in trying to pay that sort of joy and freedom forward to others, you know?

    p.s. I'm also thankful for working legs :)

    ReplyDelete