Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Random thoughts, Influence of Others, Psychology Class and Gum

I've got a lot of random thoughts for the day, so bear with me.

I didn't mention this yesterday, but can you believe this Schwarzenegger scandal? Geez. Remind me to never marry a politician, because apparently they all like to cheat on their wives. Anywho.

I saw someone wearing Vibram Five Fingered shoes with socks. How does that work?

I didn't think about this before, but my room mate is completely influenced by the people she hangs out with through dress. I know that her personality is like this, but I never noticed it affects what clothes she wears. It's crazy. For instance, when she used to hang out with the stoner group in high school like myself, she dress like... a stoner. Hemp mushroom necklace, ironic plaid shirts, you name it. When she hung out with the wannabe gangsta/prep people, her gangsta clothes shined through. That's actually one of her main styles though. Now, she's begun dressing exactly like her friend Katie. Even their hairstyles are really similar. Weird.
When I hung out with mis stoner amigos, I still dressed like my usual preppy/girly style. Cardigans will always be my fashion friends.

When I started taking the Psychology class, I was really excited about it. However, now that we've gotten to the eight week, I've realized that I despise the class. The strange thing is, it's not the reason you would think.
My professor is a pretty cool lady. She's very humorous, she tells us interesting stories... but she isn't the greatest professor in my opinion. Her classes at first were good enough. Show us a video clip or two, then talk about the slides. Some of the slides she went through a little quickly, but they're online. Now it's video clip, video clip, show five seconds of slide then another video clip. It's pretty much only video clips. You might think, "Oh that shouldn't be that bad, should it?" Actually, it is. I want to learn, and I don't feel like I'm getting it that great from video clips. It's true that the clips (usually) have some information that's useful, but when it comes to quiz time I feel like the classes have taught me nothing. That's not a good sign. Plus it feel like she wants to get through the slides as fast as possible just so she can get to the next video clip.
I didn't think that it was that weird to want to learn in college.

Today we happened to watch talk about obsessive compulsive disorder today. For one thing, this class tends to bring out the hypochondriac in me. Also, I think I have some OCD habits, but not as bad with the cleanliness factor. It is true that I have terrible anxiety with wearing anything that has a stain on it though. My OCD habit has to do with numbers. I can't stand odd numbers, I only like even numbers. For instance, if the volume of something is measured in numbers, I despise seeing it on an odd number. I always have to turn it to an even number. Or five, because five is half of ten... which makes it okay somehow. My favorite number is eight, probably the king of even numbers. All the things you divide it by are even, (except for one, but that doesn't count) and it's infinity sideways. Okay, eight is just an awesome number just because.

I've stopped chewing gum. Well, I stopped... yesterday? In the afternoon, when I ran out of the current pack that I had. Hopefully, this will continue for more than a day or two. I realized that my gum habit had gotten out of control when I realized I was going for sticks of gum like a chain smoker... or chewing gum. That makes sense, yes? Along with the smoking analogy, it occurred to me that one of the many arguments I make to people who smoke (other than the obvious ones) are the fact that it's a habit that wastes a lot of money. I may have been using meal card money, which will need to be used up anyways, but it adds up. Therefore, gum is out of the picture for now.
Plus, the other reason I decided I should stop is because it was starting to make my jaw hurt. That's just depressing.

People in my hall probably think that I'm completely insane if they can hear me out in the hallway. Sometimes I clap to nothingness, or it seems that way because I'm jamming with my headphones in. Yesterday to my computer I yelled, "I will hit you because you are being stupid!" It was being stupid, but now people may think that I am abusive. Not a good thing.

Have you ever taken a class that didn't turn out like you expected? Was it better or worse?

1 comment:

  1. I took a lot of really great classes (surprising or not) and a lot of really bad classes. Sometimes it's the friends you make in those bad classes that make it worth it. There's no other solidarity quite like it, really.

    ReplyDelete