Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dealing With Money, Financial Aid, and School Situations

What an influence money has on our lives. Goodness.

The last few days I've been worrying about money. I know I think about it too much, but it's been on my mind even more lately. There are a few reasons for this.
First of all, running is starting to suck up my money. When I've looked at my past big purchases, they've been two things: School supplies and running things. Even with a discount from the running store, I still had a good chunk of money yanked away when I got my shoes. I've been wishing I could sign up for more little races during the summer, but then I think, "Oh wait. That costs money." Looking at Northwest running magazines filled with races has been like looking through a clothes magazine for me. (Seriously, it's the environment of runs! They're so fun and upbeat!)

My other piece of concern comes from my decision to take summer classes. It'll be good to take classes during the summer to get them done, but money is not fun to deal with. It turns out that I can't get financial aid, so I'm going to have to pay out of pocket. I know that my mom might want to help me, but I feel like I need to pay for it myself. The only other thing that causes concern with this is a smaller amount of hours of working to earn money back for the next year... hooray being a (sorta) adult!

Another thing that stands on the subject of school finances is how I'm figuring out my financial aid for next year. I don't think it's to the right school right now, and I've fixed what I can of it... but I think my parents need to do some things on the form. Gosh, I hate how dependent it makes me sound. Ha, it's funny because I am their dependent! Am I right? Yeah, maybe not.

Other big thing on my mind? Trying to figure out where I'm going to live next year. I'm not looking towards living in the dorms just because it's really pricey, and I don't want to. I'm hoping I can find someone to live with, but I also have ideas for worst case scenarios. I simply hope it just doesn't get to that.

In other news, I continue to have the appetite of a starved piranha. When I was training for my other run, I don't think I was this hungry all of the time! I haven't even run as far yet! Pish. I'm gonna gain twenty pounds.

Apparently I can't resist cookies either. Hence the comment above.

I'm quite tired... Time for rest.

What do you do to keep your finances in check? What do you do when you need to make big purchases?

1 comment:

  1. I give myself an allowance every week and then I save the money I don't spend for big purchases like shoes, purses, etc. Highly recommend this method.

    Having lived in a studio apartment for a year, I can truly say that my place was spacious and absolutely perfect for one - so, if you need to go that route, I wouldn't fret. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete