Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Talk of Goals- Present and Future

 So I deleted my post from yesterday. Why? Because it was stupid. Especially since I told myself I wouldn't write up posts if I didn't have anything to write about. I think it's just because I'm scared that if I don't write one night, I'll eventually stop writing altogether. Funny thing is, whenever I write about something that I do think is a thought-provoking post, it usually has no views. Then my stupid posts get views. Timing? I dunno. That's life.
 On that same note, in so many of my journalism classes they've said, "Create something! Like a blog!" Fact: I would NEVER show this blog to a potential employer. This is just me rambling on about whatever comes to my mind. It's a good way to keep me writing just to write, but my grammar and writing structure is awful here. I've written posts that are so stupid. So, no professional world for you bloggie.
Now, let's move onto today.

I like to set goals. As for the following through with them, I'm not sure how great I am. I'm working on it, just like everyone else. The thing is, I think I tend to have more trouble with them once I've told people about it. Weird, right? With more people knowing about those goals, you'd think that I wouldn't want to disappoint people. I think what happens can be seen in Daniel O'Brien's article about 4 Bizarrely Specific Stereotypes You Can't Help But Notice in point #1: The more you talk about the book you're writing, the less you've written. In my situation, it's obviously not a book but it has the same idea. Sure you're talking about it, but have you actually sat down and got the work done? No? Then stop talking about it, or at least start doing it so you have something to talk about. I'm a bit like this for tryouts/interviews as well. I get a bit superstitious and wait to say anything. That way, if I don't get it I don't have to tell everyone. If I do get it, it's just icing on the cake. Cream cheese icing.
I'm not sure how much I agree with #3 though. I love my cousins, and spend time hanging out with them quite a bit... does that make me hickish? I never thought that before now. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm not hickish. You can hush, Dan O'Brien.

On that note, it's time to review my goals for February.
So February? Not so great on the goals. Hoo boy. Well maybe 50/50.

1.Eating out
 -This? This I did not do well with. Sometimes it feels like whenever you make a very specific plan, life throws the complete opposite at you to deal with. I had one specific date where I was going to eat out but then unplanned situations landed in my lap. However, I think I'm getting better at eating out financially, despite achieving my goal the way I wanted to. For instance, when my only choice was to eat out with the Duck TV peeps, we went to Chipotle. Normally, I would get guacamole since guac is delicious. But when the cashier said it would cost $1.50 more, I said no way. Might seem like a small amount, but those little amounts add up over time.
2. Calcium
 -I took calcium everyday except once. Nice! Let's keep at it.
3. Computer time
 - Alright, I probably spent way more time on the computer than I should have. Seriously, it's like an addiction. Not good. I'm going to keep working on using the computer less and less.
4.Punch Card
 - I used my punch cards a few times! Yeah! I have about 3 months to finish about 16 punches. Let's go to the gym!
5. I didn't buy any gum or soda. Nice.

As you can see, there were some ups and some downs. That's life.
Returning to the earlier mentioned article, I'm going to try something different this month. I'm not going to tell y'all my goals. No, I will only tell you that I have two big main goals, with some specific details but enough wiggle room to not break at one little slip. Of course, I'm going to work on general things (like some of the above things), but there are two goals. I will tell you what they were at the end of the month, and how I did. Hopefully better than recently.

 I bid you adieu for the evening, and I hope to not run out of things to say. (Which is how I've been feeling lately.)

Do you tell people about your goals before you go through with them? What's your view on this type of goal-getting?

1 comment:

  1. When I signed up for my first 5k I told EVERYONE about it. Retrospectively, the fact that they all took me so seriously is hilarious. But I told them because I needed the accountability.

    ReplyDelete