Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's In My Genes

I should not be given large chunks of free time. It isn't good for my health.

In other news, I know I bitch about my room mates a lot... but I have just one more little thing to add. You know how I've mentioned they apparently forget things in the kitchen? Well, that goes for cooking things too. I talked before how an egg exploded in a pan before (that I actually forgot about until just now), but today was another little adventure into the almost burning down the apartment game. I walked into the kitchen to see some chicken in the oven. Okay, they're probably waiting to get it out after a little I think to myself. Later, I'm off to my last midterm but decided to check the oven. It's STILL IN THERE. Now it's black, and I knock on Lu's door for an answer. Turns out HaoChen (who's gone) put it in there for Lu. She knew it was in there. And she decided to TAKE A NAP.
You do not take naps if you're cooking something! If I hadn't checked before I'd left... good lord.

Okay, enough with the rant. Time to talk about other things!

It's always a funny thing to think about the traits you've picked up from your parents. No, I'm not talking about the way you say okay in that weird tone of voice like your mother. I'm talking about biology, specifically genes. On the outside, it appears that I've picked up more features from my mother's side than my father's side. Take a picture of my mom and me; you'll see the similarities. There's one other trait that comes from my mom's side that you usually wouldn't think about:
The hips.
As a fellow classmate said to me in high school, I've got some birthin' hips. (Should I take that as an insult?) Every woman on my mom's side of the family has them. This doesn't mean we've got booties though. No, we've got flat rears but the hips? Made for kids, apparently.

Even though I have a lot of my mom's traits, I have quite a few things from my dad's side. For one thing, I supposedly look identical to one of my aunts when she was a kid... Which I don't really want. There are many personal reasons why.
I also have acquired my dad's eye color, and apparently his bad teeth. Or so he tells me. I let it be an excuse as to why I've had three cavities in my life while my sister didn't even need to take her wisdom teeth out.

So from mom, we've got birthin' hips and face. From dad we've got eyes, teeth, and my shrimp allergy. Yeah, some great great uncle has a shellfish allergy. No idea until I had it.

That sounds about even. All in all, I think I've got some pretty swell genes.

Oh dear, I think I'm getting sick. It's what happens when you put your hands on your face all of the time. Terrible habit, should stop it. Night to you all!

What features/traits from your parents are the most recognizable for you?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my lord. My sorority sisters were notorious for leaving things in the oven for too long. It's Seriously Alarming Stuff. I know before I met Marcus, once he left an egg roll in the oven all night. Terrifying, right?

    ReplyDelete