Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Purpose of Blogging

We've had three different types of weather in ten minutes. Folks, it looks like it's officially springtime in Oregon.

The other day, I was thinking about blogging. Specifically, why I blog.

Wait.

Why DO I blog?

Hmm. Let's start at the beginning of my blogging journey.
When I started this blog, it was to follow my adventures of being a college student. Man, if only I had signed up to be one of Seventeen's freshman fifteen bloggers when I had the chance! Aw well. Starting the blog, I had a few main goals: 1. Get a Degree 2. Not Gain the Dreaded Freshmen Fifteen 3. Study Abroad 4. Stay out of Debt 5. Get Good Grades 6. Make Friends. The last goal was to blog everyday.

Originally I think I had thoughts of: "Maybe this will get me somewhere. Maybe I'll get a lot of readers. Maybe this will be something I could show to show my writing skills."
But then I didn't get many readers. It didn't help me get to anything bigger. Plus, as I mentioned before, I wouldn't dare show this blog to anyone for a job.

At the same time, the blog was supposed to be a place to throw my thoughts out. Blogs tend to be kind of like online journals. A fine and dandy idea at first, but then... the thoughts felt forced. Like I had to write them. For who? My mom, sister, and a few other people who have a million other blog possibilities?

Soon I told myself that I didn't need to blog everyday. Why write dribble if it's not worth any one's time (including my own)? At least that's what I told myself. Yet, I still felt obligated to write everyday.

Why is that? Why do I feel like it's somehow my JOB to write about what I'm thinking about every day? Is it because of consistency? Or maybe it's because there are so many other bloggers that write everyday. That gave me a funny thought though: Y'see, some of my favorite bloggers don't write everyday. (Don't get me wrong, I like plenty of bloggers that do) For the bloggers that don't write everyday, I get so excited when I see one of their posts in my blogroll. It's like a treat! Now, I'm not sure if my blog would ever be like that, but my point is that interesting blogging doesn't have to be an everyday thing. Especially if you have nothing to say everyday.

I had one last reason to blog, and that's for fun. However, that brings me back to the commitment side of it. After awhile, blogging sometimes isn't fun. Just forced.

I know that I'll probably stop blogging here when I'm done with college. It's not a for sure thing, but I'm pretty sure I'll stop. For now, I'll keep blogging until I reach my college goals. Doesn't mean I'll blog everyday though. If I have nothing to write, I simply won't write. Even if I have to force myself not to. (Sounds weird, but true.)

Perhaps a new chapter in my blogging ventures has occurred? Well, we'll see.

Other than that, my registration for classes was today. Registering for classes sucks. I have a really weird schedule, and I'm not sure how it's going to work with my college plans. Crap. I'm hoping things will get fixed up.

Why do you blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment