Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Oscars- A Recap, and Why I Ate Dinner At Nine

Thus ends another weekend. Honestly, I need to get more creative with these introductory sentences. I'm working on it. Perhaps journalism classes will help with that. I digress.

If you've been reading my blog the past few days, you'll know that tonight were the 84th Annual Academy Awards! How delightful. Many of the wins made me happy, others annoyed, and some I didn't care either way. Here are some of the highlights and lowlights, in my opinion:
  • Christopher Plummer winning Best Supporting Actor was fantastic. He totally deserved it, gave a great speech and c'mon! It's Christopher Plummer. He's just a super cool actor. Plus, it was cool that he is now the oldest Oscar winner of all time.
  • Octavia Spencer for Best Supporting Actress was wonderful as well, if only for the fact that her acceptance speech was filled with so much disbelief. You just wanted that award to go to her even more after that because it felt so right.
  • Um, the Dean getting an Oscar? I'm certainly excited about it. Oh, you didn't know? Dean Pelton (sp?) from Community was one of the writers for The Descendents screenplay. I didn't know that until Twitter talked about it. Awesome.
  • I haven't even seen Hugo, and I'm so over it. I think the fact that it took awards for 1. A bajillion things and 2. away from movies I wanted to win made me dislike it. I bet it's probably a good movie though... *grumblegrumble* ...Midnight in Paris should have gotten Cinematography.
  • The Artist getting Best Picture. Yay!
  • Harry Potter was hella snubbed. NOTHING? Not even makeup, or visual effects? You make me cry, academy.
  • The Bridesmaids gals were all dressed fantastically. The super preppy one? (I forget her name) Her dress reminded me of the dress Katniss wears when presented to the Capitol. Y'know, the "fire" one. And I'm gonna stop with the Hunger Games references there.
  • Right after the winner of the Best Actress was announced, the girl next to me and I both saw Meryl Streep and Viola Davis stand up at the same time. It looked like a Zoolander moment (think going to the front when someone else has been called), but it turned out she was just going to hug Streep. For a moment, it was pretty scary.
Hopefully I didn't spoil the Oscars for anyone, but then why would you be on the internet in the first place?
Earlier in the afternoon, I got a text from my mom that simply said "Call me". When I did?
"The Oscar Pre Show is on."
"...Is that all?"
"Yup." *click*

I love my mom.
I went to an Oscar party, and at that party was faced with the first time I've ever had to decline something because I couldn't eat it.
I was going to have dinner there, but I couldn't. If you've read my blog before, you might know why.

Dinner was shrimp pasta.

I wanted to cry. And no, there wasn't any non-shrimp pasta either. I saw the host take the pasta and just dump it into the shrimp. None for Hannah.
At one point I even saw someone who had eaten all of their pasta, but pushed the shrimp to the side. What madness! I was extremely tempted to grab those shrimp with my bare hand and jam it in my mouth. Allergies be damned. Obviously, I didn't though or an epi-pen would probably be jammed into the side of my leg right now.

Another year of Oscars come and gone. May this year bring us many more wonderful Oscar-worthy movies.

Did you watch the Oscars? Were you happy with the winners? Sad about some of the losers?

2 comments:

  1. I really loved the oscars this year - the fashion, the actor bios/questions, the cirque performance. In total, an awesome show!!! And the winners were great, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest, I wish that Viola Davis had gotten best actress, but otherwise I enjoyed the show. And even though Angie's leg was scary, her face looked gorgeous as always. This is how things go sometimes.

    ReplyDelete