Monday, February 27, 2012

It's All About Perception

Feelin' pretty fresh right now. Just sayin'. Then again, I did just take a shower.

Yeah, still need to work on those introductory sentences. Anywho, hello to y'all out there who happen to be reading. Are you ready for this week? We've already finished Monday, so we're that much closer to another weekend. Oh yes.
I have something specific on my mind for today's post, but first a few daily thoughts:
  • Twitter certainly is a good way to get informed as I now know. Today's news? The author of the Berenstain Bears books died today. Those books were a part of my childhood! How sad.
  • I agree Kat with wanting Viola Davis to win. Yes, Meryl Streep is a delight actress, but I still would have rather Viola took that win. Nothing you can do.
  • Oregon has decided it didn't get winter-y enough earlier, so it's been making up for it. Saturday and Sunday it snowed, and today it was pretty cold. Sure it hasn't gotten Midwest cold, but that's why I would never be able to live in the Midwest.
For the last few days, I've been thinking a lot about perception. It all started a few days ago. I felt big and icky. As I was changing, I looked at myself from the side and thought, "Geez, I've gotten fat."
A millisecond later my brain slapped my subconcious silly.
Fact: I am no where near fat, or what would be considered overweight. My BMI is in the normal range, and I have a healthy body size. Yet, I was displeased with how I looked at that moment. This got me to thinking about women losing weight, or women who just have different body types. What I see as "looking big" could be "I've never looked better!" to someone else. How we perceive this is crazy.

I've been think about writing about this for awhile now, but today seemed like the perfect day to write about it. Mainly because of this video, starting at 4:40 (don't mind the Kate Upton. He's a dude, he talks about dude stuff sometimes.)-

If you don't watch it, the story is about studies on body image. Men see themselves as skinner than they are, but women perceive themselves as fatter. Okay, that's not that surprising. What's terrifying is because of this mindset that has been drilled into our skulls, the rest of the world perceives us as fatter too. Our insecurities about our bodies have made the other gender think, "Oh, she IS that big", when really she's not.

That sucks. Girls, what made us imagine ourselves as so much bigger than we actually are? Don't answer that, there are too many reasons. All I know is that I don't like it.

I'll try to look at myself more positively. Because hey, however I perceive myself is going to affect how others perceive me and I quite like being perceived as looking good. We're not even going to get into beauty here. That's a whole other deal.

That's all from me. I need to put clothes away... she said for the millionth time. Oh dear.

What are your thoughts on body image?

No comments:

Post a Comment