Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Squabbling Freakout Events

I always thought that it would be depressing to go to a movie by myself. My mom and my sister told me that it wasn't sad, if you want to go to a movie just go. Pish, what nonsense.

But then this last Sunday I did just that. And really, don't knock it until you try it.

What I went to see was the movie Horrible Bosses, which I really wanted to see. Jason Bateman, Jason Sudekis, and Charlie Day? Yes!

Which brings me to the movie. I thought it was great, funny, all of that good stuff. It's interesting about the funniness though because there seems to be a trend going on in comedy movies now that I'd like to call the Squabbling Freakout Event.
As you've seen in a lot of movies, there are many instances where the main characters all start talking about an event going on. This usually leads to all of them talking at once. During this time, some of the funniest lines tend to be said, and I think the reason for that are the comedians themselves. These moments give them the chance to improv, and let them think of some of the goofiest lines you've ever heard.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I think it's actually a great way to go about making funny parts in movies. It's just kind of funny that it's become such a mainstream thing. I remember when more indie movies did it, now it's so much more mainstream. Humor changes with time, like everything else. For instance, I don't think as many people now think slapstick is that funny. Even sarcastic humor isn't as funny to us as it was in the 90s.

Guh, I can't believe it's only Tuesday. Then again, there is no way in heck that I'm ready for my long run yet, so it's kind of okay that it's only Tuesday.

I tried looking up an image for an example of the Squabbling Freakout Event in action, but they were no where to be found. People really like seeing Jen Aniston nibbling on a concerned Charlie Day's ear though. Goodness.

What things have you seen change through time that you wouldn't have thought of changing?

1 comment:

  1. You win for heaviest question in the blog-world tonight, darling!

    I completely agree about The Squabbling Freakout Event though :)

    ReplyDelete