Monday, July 18, 2011

Getting into Cooking Mode

The kitchen smells like curry. I smelled like curry in the shower. The whole house smells like curry.

This means that I was able to cook something! And not kill myself from food poisoning in the process.

I've mentioned before that I'm a terrible cook. I don't know much about it, but I sure can bake. Well, cookies I suppose. I almost have the recipe for chocolate chip cookies memorized, but I digress. However, with my lack of cooking experience, I've always wanted to know how to cook. I remember in high school signing up for Foods class every term and I never got in. Don't ask me why, I seriously don't know. Along with the desire to cook, now it's something that I need to learn how to do correctly due to the fact that I won't be living in a place with a meal plan.
I have baked some bread this summer, but one cannot live on bread alone and not get bored. I like my meat!

Back to the dinner. I made something called West Indian Chicken Curry Flurry. More complicated than toasting an English Muffin, but I was ready for the challenge. Pretty much every way you could put yourself in danger while cooking? Probably did all of that. Cooked in clothing that was likely to be hazardous? Check. Almost get attacked by hot oil? I tried doing this correctly, but somehow the oil was still after me. I'm onto you oil. Sure, it may look a little terrifying...

But you know what? I'm happy. And eating what looks like a real meal?
Ranch from American Dream Pizza. You can't throw that stuff out.

That feels pretty good. Yeah yeah, it's a little pathetic that I'm getting so excited over this, but I just haven't really cooked much. I'm always worried I'm gonna screw it up, but I realized that cooking? Not that difficult.
It was way overly spiced though. Ah well.

It's been quite a long time since I've done a Things That I Have Learned from Fictional Characters, and I think I should do something with that again. Therefore, I have a simple thing that I learned while finishing up Paper Towns last night. No matter how much we want someone to be the version of them that we perceive, it may never be who they really are. People are not ideas we make them out to be, they're just people. I wish I had a better way of explaining myself, but for now I do not.

More cooking will commence! I also want to make more bread. As for tonight? It's time for me to go to bed.

As for comments on the last two posts:
Man, I want to read Bossypants!
As for the search for Draco, they don't do much with it in the movie in my opinion.

What have you cooked recently that was different for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment