Monday, February 21, 2011

Things I Have Learned From Fictional Characters

When I was on my running adventure out in the country last Saturday, I thought of a new Thing I've Learned from Fictional Characters. It was a simple idea at first, but the more I thought about it, the more relevant it seemed to be to more aspects of my life.
Today's little morsel of wisdom comes from Chuckie Finster. If your childhood was anything like mine, you'll recognize that name from the cartoon Rugrats. The knowledge I gained from him wasn't from his overall personality, but a specific episode.

In the episode, the gang participates in some sort of relay race. Chuckie is the last member of the race, but needs to go pee- bad. He's temped to step out of the race, but instead of disappointing his team as soon as he's tagged dashes to the finish line, running through straight to the bathroom. From this I learned (in the best way I can describe it): the faster you go, the sooner you'll be done.

I've had the same type of thing happen to me when out on a run. Suddenly, I have to go to the bathroom really bad. However, I know that if I stop to walk, it'll take me longer to get to a bathroom, making it that much more painful. If I keep running though, I can make it there.

As my mind wandered around this concept, I realized this type of thing can happen in everyday situations too. Let's take for example writing a paper. You can look numbly at that empty Word document for hours. You can spend long stretches of time thinking, "Wow, I should really get that done." This is what would be walking to the finish line. On the other hand, if you just start at that paper, letting no distractions get in your way, you're running towards that finish line. You see what I mean?

It's basically the Coulda Woulda Shoulda idea. No Could. No Should. Just do.

Huh. I think I've motivated myself to get a move on on my essay for Thursday.

Night everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that the truth? I definitely think that sometimes I over-think things and at that point, it's kind of like, over-baking a cake or something on that order. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete