Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Oscars Predictions

I've been quiet about it during the week. Yet in real life, I've been all stirred up for the event happening tonight.

That's right. It's the 83rd Academy Awards tomorrow.

Have I been planning things all week for it? You bet I have! That of course also means I've been thinking about who is going to take home the little gold man for themselves.

With that, I'd like to throw in my opinions of who should win an Oscar. I won't bore you with my opinions of who I think will win tomorrow, simply because we've heard the same ideas for who's going to take home gold a million times.

For Best Picture: Everyone's been saying that The King's Speech is a shoe-in to win, but The Social Network is more of a movie for my generation. I'd have to strongly disagree with that statement. I personally loved The King's Speech, and I was not a very big fan of The Social Network. Especially that ending? It was a moment of, "Are you kidding me?" The reason I'd like to say The King's Speech should win is because it overall was amazing. Fantastic cast, pleasing to the eyes, a story that will make you smile and feel sad... Just overall wonderful.

Actor In a Leading Role: As much as I love Colin Firth, I almost want Jessie Eisenburg to get some love for the Social Network. However, then I look back and think the only reason that Colin Firth doesn't stand out more is simply because the cast is such a good group of actors. And the utter fear that Colin Firth shows in the first few minutes of the movie? It's completely perfect.

Actress In a Leading Role: Yes, I'm going with Natalie Portman like everyone else, but it's not only because of the vigorous training that she went through to prepare for the role. It's incredible to watch her throughout the film because she's able to flip her personality at the snap of a finger. Also, she's able to actually portray her dancing styles differently when she either the Black Swan or the White Swan. Now that's some serious skill, considering her lack of dance background before this.

Actor in a Supporting Role: Oh man, this is the hardest one yet! The thing that makes it so hard is that my two top ones stole the show from the leading men. I'm in between Geoffrey Rush for The King's Speech and Christian Bale for The Fighter. What makes it so hard is that they both did so well, but for different reasons! Bale was great because of his over the top performance, but Rush had an amazing performance that was extremely subtle! I honestly have to go with Geoffrey Rush, because in an amazing cast he stood out the most. Plus, he didn't have to act crazy to do it, which in the situation is incredible.

Actress in a Supporting Role: I didn't see Animal Kingdom, but I heard the woman in that is really good. My choice on the other hand is Amy Adams. Sure, I'm a little biased since I loved her before, but I think that she did really well in this role. It's also a type of role she hasn't really done before, yet I still believed her.

Animated Feature Film: Do we really have to ask? Toy Story 3.

Cinematography: I almost want to automatically just go with Inception, but how visually pleasing was it really? Yes, the visual effects were outstanding, but does that count as great cinematography? I think I want to go with True Grit for this one. The feel of it just worked.

Visual Effects: If Inception didn't get this for making the most awesome scene ever, the world would cry.

Best Director: Gotta give this one to David Fincher for The Social Network. He was able to make the world of Facebook and a couple of rich kids arguing over loads of money a lot more intriguing than it should be. Honestly, you think about it afterwards and realize: "Wow. These guys already have tons of money. Now they are freaking out about more money. Plus they're all super geniuses.  I really feel bad for you."


I could go on and on and on... but I think that's enough out of me, don't you think? I hope y'all have fun watching the Oscars tonight!

Who do you want to win tonight?

1 comment:

  1. The way I look at it, anytime they make a movie about the British Empire, it will always win.

    ReplyDelete