Thursday, February 10, 2011

Taking the Next Step, Then Taking the Extra Step

If you've learned any life lessons through your years, you've probably heard this idea: Take the leap! Go for it! 90% of Indie movies tend to have this concept as the moral of the story. Then the awkward skinny dude ends up getting the way too hot for him chick, and... well, I digress. (Except for 500 Days of Summer, because Joseph Gordon-Levitt is adorable.)

Anywho. Why I'm stating this today is because I reevaluated my "Go for it"-ness. I realized that I'm not as go for it as I thought.
You see, I may seem like I am a go for it person. (If you were in my head, you would agree.) I'll find out about something. I'll start studying it up, looking up all sorts of dates, information, everything I would need to be able to do that things. I'll be at the point where I'm just about to do it! ...Until suddenly at the last second, I pull away. I'd like to think of it like those cartoons where the character is about to cannonball into a pool. They'll make a running start, jump right over the pool... Then they pause in mid air, look down, scramble about where they're paused, and run away.

One of the reasons I seem to have this problem is because I think of too many hypothetical situations. It's not bad that I'm thinking of different options, it's simply the problem of thinking, "Well, if I end up doing this, then I can't do this, but if I do this..." This leads up to the inevitable point of ending up with none of the ideas.

I know I'm not the only one out there with this problem. This goes along with people who say they'll start their diets tomorrow, or they'll clean up their messes when they have more time. It's time to start now, dangit! Even if it's little by little, I'll take that step! You should too, if there's something you've been thinking about doing.

With that, I am going to apply for that job. And talk to those professors about taking their classes next term. And see if there's a chance I could get into that program.

Woo! Feel the passion! ... Okay, perhaps it's time I go to bed.

What things are you nervous about taking the next step in?

No comments:

Post a Comment