Monday, February 7, 2011

Advisors, Room mates, and Things I Have Learned from Fictional Characters

Now that all of that Superbowl fun is done, let's get on with the week, shall we?

Who watched the Superbowl out there, anyway? I asked around my hall and no one was watching it! How disappointing. Perhaps it's just because I enjoy football and the commercials. Seriously, even if you don't like football, you watch it for the commercials, right? Here's my favorite:

...That sounds a bit odd, watching television to see advertisements. Anywho.
Of course, I was a fool and forgot my camera, so no pictures of the festivities. I really ought to get better at that. Stories are more fun to read with pictures, aren't they?

I had a meeting with my advisor today to discuss majors, next term, and career paths. Also known as the advising hold appointment. I met with my "official" advisor, who was a nice guy. At first, I felt like he was just another one of the advisors who tell you just the basic details, but he was really able to go in-depth with me. He was... dare I say it? Helpful! That's not always the case.
The odd thing about making advising appointments and such is that I feel a lot more on top of things than other students. I've asked if other people had made their appointments, and some of them didn't even know it was time to do that yet. When showing my advisor all of the things I'd been thinking about, he even mentioned how ahead I was in studying up information on these things than other students. It just seems... odd. Aren't I supposed to be lax like other people my age? More power to me I guess.

When looking up classes to add next term, I decided I was just going to look at classes that sounded intriguing. One that caught my eye? C.S. Lewis and J.K. Rowling. OH MAN YES. Despite being a higher level, I talked to someone who knew the teacher, and that the only thing you need to do is read all of the books beforehand. Um, spring break by the pool? Entirely doable.

Speaking of books, Julie and Julia came into the library for me today. I know that it's very 2009, but I want to read it! Reading about cooking and food make me want to learn how to cook.

Before I forget, it's once again Monday and I'd like to include a Things I Have Learned From Fictional Characters. I'll make it short, since this post is already pretty long. Today's lesson comes from Goofy:

Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. We all make mistakes, we all have times were we look... goofy. Do we freak out about it? No! I know that I've gotten pretty bad about things that aren't that large, and I've gotten better at not being so tense about it.

Okay, I lied. I do have one last thing to say. As you know, I've had some tension with my room mate. The thing is, one of the main reasons has been because we just hadn't been feeling like friends anymore. However, the last two days she seems like my good ol' pal again. It's nice. I mean, she even bought me a doughnut when she went to Portland!


Old Dirty Bastard. One of the most delicious doughnuts ever.
 How freaking nice is that? But it's not even the doughnut. It's nice to have my friend back.

And so I say adieu to you! Hope your evening is grand!

Was your advisor helpful in school? Or did you have to be more self-relient?

1 comment:

  1. Lady, I'm glad that you and your roommate are back on terms. It's so important to be able to enjoy the person that you live with.

    Separately, as far as the Superbowl is concerned, the game is for bathroom breaks.

    ReplyDelete