Monday, December 12, 2011

Shopping for Christmas

The day after I talk about being frugal with money, what do I do? I help my mom go on a shopping spree. Ha I kid, but I helped her buy Christmas gifts today. Including my Christmas gifts. Yeah, it's a little odd.

There are pros and cons to knowing what gifts you're going to get for Christmas/Birthdays/etc. The obvious pro is that you'll get what you want. The con? The surprise is gone.

I think the thing with surprise is that it's a little like magic. Sound goofy? What's the biggest thing needed for magic tricks? The element of surprise. You don't know how they pulled that rabbit out of the hat, and once you do it's not exciting. Personally, I love surprises. One of the coolest birthdays I had was getting a surprise party. (It would have been awesome, if not for the fact that I was feeling super sick right before getting surprise. Ew.)
Still, despite the surprise being gone I'm okay with it. Sure surprise is nice, but my mom needed help with her shopping. I just don't want to wrap my own Christmas presents is all I'm saying.

Truth is, there are things that I'd like. The thing is I'm always thinking, "I don't really need it." It kind of goes in a terrible circle though. I feel guilty about having money spent on me, but by explaining this, I make my mother feel guilty about spending money. I'm not trying to make her feel guilty, I'm the one who feels guilty. Oy. I just have psychological issues with money I suppose.

One of the funny things about shopping is how tired it makes you feel. I suppose it's because you're on your feet all day, but it simply doesn't register.

That was my shopping day. Yup.

Do you like knowing your gifts? Or would you rather be surprised by a gift you might not want?

1 comment:

  1. This year, the only thing I really wanted/needed was winter running gear and I ended up buying that already because I need to run outside...now. Plus, with the wedding, we're kind of good on stuff, you know? But I think next year, I want some MAJOR surprises.

    ReplyDelete