Friday, December 2, 2011

The Allergy Test

Hello everyone.

What is that paper that I'm holding, you ask? Well, it's a paper that I received yesterday after a little doctor's appointment I had. A paper letting me know that I can't eat a food that I adore.

It's official. I'm allergic to shrimp. And crab, apparently. Funny thing is, I'm not allergic to lobster, so there's that buttery goodness still on the menu.

It's kind of obvious, but I wasn't always allergic to shrimp. I used to love shrimp. It's also featured in a lot of healthy recipes. All was fine until one day I ate some, and something was off. My throat felt a little itchy, and my face got a bit of a rash. I thought, "Oh maybe it's cooked weird since we're in Mexico." At least that's what I hoped.
A few months later, I had some shrimp again at a family shrimp cookout. A few pieces and the weird itchy throat feeling was back. Oh no.

I tried to deny it, thinking that only two little times shouldn't be a big deal. On the other hand, I had that fear in the back of my mind. My mother was freaked out I was going to die, so she told me to make an allergy test appointment.

Have you ever gotten an allergy test done? It's a little weird. They poke your arm with samples of the potential allergens, then see which ones itch. They also have a control, which is meant to itch. So even if you're not allergic to anything, you'll still end up itching.

You can't really tell, but the one that's more pink and it second left one closest to me is shrimp. Boohoo.

Also, you know the prescription up there? That's for an epi-pen. I have to get a freakin' epi-pen. Just in case. I never thought I would need anything like that!

Well, I suppose I can be thankful that I'm not allergic to peanuts which is what I eat for breakfast almost everyday. (Peanut butter on toast with a hint of jam... delicious.) And I don't really care about the crab, because I've never liked crab anyway.

Oh shrimp. We'll always have that delicious garlic-y pasta dish from that restaurant a few years ago.

Have you ever had an allergy test? What's a weird allergy you have?

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry to hear about your allergies. Isn't it weird how allergies can pop up like that? I don't think I have any food allergies- the only thing I'm allergic to is some medicine I took when I had pneumonia. The only thing worse than having pneumonia is having an allergic reaction to the medicine that's supposed to make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was allergy tested in elementary school (arms and back) and the whole experience was hell on earth. As it turns out, I don't have any special allergies.

    I'm SO sorry you're allergic to shellfish :\. It's time to hit the lobster. Hard.

    ReplyDelete