Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Thing With APO

I've been talking about APO so much, but not really giving any details, huh? Well, let's fix that!

I've explained what APO is plenty of times, but really it's a lot more than just a service fraternity. For one thing, there are "fellowship projects", which are basically excuses to hang out as a group and such. The reason I watched Disney Movies for almost 6 hours? APO. Next week, there are a lot of fellowship things going on, including the fellowship retreat next weekend! We're all going up to a place to camp in yurts. Exciting? Yes, especially since the "camping" is pretty much not very camp-ery. I think they have kitchens in them. Just sayin'.

Seeing as I am a pledge, I have to go to pledge classes. Supposedly, the classes are to help us learn about APO's history and all that jazz, but they're pretty relaxed. I mean, tonight we played an improv game. Yup.

Of course, there's also chapter. Just meetings, telling us upcoming things. You know, plus some random stuff.

One of the cool things about APO that I didn't know at first was that we get a BIG. A Big is a person who's a brother, and they're just there for advice or whatever we want to talk about. Is there an exact definition? I don't know. All I do know is that before we found out who our Big was, we got little gifts the whole week. My Big didn't give me the greatest of clues. I was a little skeptical of my big at first, because the gifts seemed... weird. But, it turns out I have a cool Big, and I have a twin since there are so many pledges!
On the night we found out our Bigs, we also got APO shirts! Pretty cool.

FB pic! In the bathroom. Classy.
 We also were separated into "families", Alpha, Phi, or Omega. The families really only matter during family Olympics, which is a thing in spring. Not a lot I know about it. Anywho, my family is Alpha.

The last interesting thing I learned about APO came at the end of chapter yesterday. There's always a song that's sung at the end of chapter, and at one part a few of the members always say "Floyd!" I just thought it was a sound, so I asked my Big about it. Apparently Floyd is a manatee. That APO takes care of. Yeah, the mascot of APO is a manatee. That is amazing.

I hope I haven't bored you with all of this APO stuff! Just trying to explain it. In other news of my life, my roommate has a really weird habit. When she knocks on my door, she's always really close to the door when I open it. It's just... weird.

I suppose that's all from me. Ta ta!

What's the last club or organization that you joined? Any fun facts?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, big little reveal - I love it!

    I was a quadruplet (my big had four little sisses from different pledge classes) and I had quadruplets. Loved it, and loved them.

    When do you get initiated?

    ReplyDelete