Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Shopping Advice

They say you should never go shopping when you're hungry. For the most part, I usually abide by this rule. However, today I was not expecting to be ravenous at 10:30 AM. Which is why everything I passed by looked incredible while I was grocery shopping this morning.

Fun fact: I grocery shop on Wednesdays because I've heard from multiple sources that the stores are at their cheapest prices on Wednesday. Mock me if you must, but at least I don't have to deal with the weekend craziness.

The reason they say that you should never go shopping when you're hungry is because you'll make bad food decisions. Did that affect me? Well...

Yes. Just a little. However, I thought about it, and I came to this conclusion: Having a little bit of something sweet helps us from bingeing on other foods, because we can actually satisfy our craving. I'm always craving a little bit of dessert, so having a little on hand is a good thing. Plus, I know what a serving size is. A lot of people scoop way more than that. I scooped into a half cup, and enjoyed my little treat! (On a random note, scooping ice cream into a measuring cup feels ridiculous. I need one of those scoops that measures the ice cream at the same time.)

Speaking of food, recently in Human Physiology we've been talking about The Female Athlete, and eating disorders. Sure, not every female athlete has one, but it's very common in them as the talks have gone. Our professor's main point has been that currently, we're putting "money in the bank", so to speak. What that means is right now we're building up bones and muscle that will help us when we're older, or "withdrawing". The whole point of it is that if you're not adding to the bank, you're going to be out of luck when you're older. As for the female athlete, if they're not getting enough nutrients in (food), that means they might be experiencing amennorheia, and their bone density is disappearing. Not good. This section has made me eat more lately, while frantically screaming, "I need money in the bank!" in my head. The truth is, I probably haven't been fueling up enough lately for my running, and I want to be healthy in the future. And no, that doesn't mean stuffing my face with ice cream. I just need more good fuel. Honestly, I know that there are times where I should eat more, just because of how my body is reacting. It's a little worrisome.
Then again, I don't want to gain weight like crazy. Goodness, the balance is so difficult.

Huh, when did this post become so serious? I thought we were talking about ice cream. Oh well.

What is a shopping rule that you like to follow? What's a rule that you always break?

No comments:

Post a Comment