Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Story of Movember

There's been a holiday celebration that has been happening for quite a few days now. A holiday that once had good intentions behind it, but now has become an excuse for a lack of hygiene.

That's right. I'm talking about Movember.

Many people know of this holiday, but in case you don't the other name for it is No Shave November. Participants do exactly what the title implies, by not shaving. Originally it started as some project to raise awareness or something for some organization fighting prostate cancer, but now that is not the case. Movember gives guys a chance to try to grow that beard/facial hair they've always wanted to try growing.

In my high school, Movember was a big deal. The hipster/hippie population loved the idea of trying to grow majestic facial hair hoping they would grow something the gods of facial hair would approve of. They imagined their hair would grow like this:

But instead, it tends to grow like this:

Well, I guess he actually wants his facial hair to look like this. But you get the picture.
Then, after a few days of being mocked for looking like a pedophile, they angrily decide to shave it off. That's how it usually goes.

Seeing as it's the 21st century, girls have wanted their spot in the Movember movement. That means they decide not to shave their legs, pits, or both. And yes, there are debates about this. Sad, really.

Why do I mention all of this? Well, it's because I have a sad confession. I've kind of been involuntarily participating in this event.
Personally, I love the feeling of being clean shaven. Sure I'll be colder, but smooth legs just always feel so nice! However, before today I'd probably gone a week and a half without shaving my legs. Ew for me. The thing is, I haven't really had a choice. There's a funny thing with my shower... it doesn't keep hot water for more than five minutes. Usually by the time I get to shaving, the water has turned ice cold. Meaning I don't really want to be standing in it. No, the water heater is not located in my apartment. Believe me, I've looked.
Today I was able to shave me legs, but it was with the shower off. Just ridiculous.

On a random hair note, yesterday I saw one of the saddest things. It was a guy with a hipster beard, balding comb over, and working at Target. How depressing.

I think that's enough talk about hair for one day, don't you?

Do you support Movember? Do you like shaving, or do you do it just to be presentable?

1 comment:

  1. I learned this when I was on the cheerleading squad - you can dry shave your legs by going extremely heavy on the lotion and then shaving away. You'll have to rinse the blade extremely well afterwards (or just toss it), but once you're done, they'll be super smooth.

    ReplyDelete