Friday, November 4, 2011

Food for Thought: Wasting Food

I have a confession: I've let food go bad.

I know, I know. As a college kid who's trying to be frugal, wasting food is one of the worst things I could do. It's a problem.
The thing is, I think it's because I haven't been eating my food the right way. There's been stuff that I've waited to use, and should have cooked up as soon as I bought it.

Another reason for my food crime? I got way too much food at the beginning of the school year. In my mind, I thought that I would need a lot more food than I bought. I suppose I got a little too excited. I mean, I had never bought or cooked all of my groceries for myself before! Sure, I've made food when at non-college home... but the groceries were not those that I bought for myself. Plus, I grew up eating a lot of... dare I admit it, smart ones. That's just what had been in my house for the most part. And soup. I've always liked my soup.

Final reason for my spoiling quickly food? I've been making multiple portions, then saving them in the fridge. Thinking I'll eat it all quickly, I've soon come to understand that it's very easy to get bored of foods. That usually means I'm wandering over to the soup.

Now, I'm realizing how quickly food can go bad. I'm trying to learn more about it. For one thing, I need to make variety out of my foods. Usually I cook up one type of meat, and throw it with something else. I need to explore flavors and tastes.

Another thing I need to do? Freeze food! I froze chicken breasts, and used those. I know I can freeze food, I just need to take more advantage of it.

Lastly, I need to use the foods I buy as soon as possible. Truthfully, it's been things like veggies that have gone bad. No more giant bags of spinach, just what I can use.

Welp, I suppose that's it from me. I'm currently in Washington. Yup. More on that later.

What do you do to make sure you don't waste food?

1 comment:

  1. I meal plan and I freeze stuff like crazy. You will always have a week where you have no time to cook and you'll eat it all then. Plus, when Marcus is hungry and scratching around for food, I have something to toss at him. Win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete