Monday, November 14, 2011

Flippin' Schedules

It's that special time of year again!

Source
No, not this time of year.
It's time to register for classes. Oh yes.

One of the things that I despise am getting used to while attending the U of O is the whole system of class scheduling, and advising appointments. At WOU, it was very easy to have everything figured out for your classes. They would post signs in the walkways, indicating that signing up for classes was coming very soon. They would send you an email to remind you. You only had one advisor, and that advisor helped you with all of your class scheduling questions. That? That does not happen here.

Trying to be the responsible student, I made sure to set up an advising appointment, with the person said to be my advisor. Being on the ball, I thought to myself. However apparently, your advisor does not help with your schedule. Your advisor helps with internships and such. That meant having a drop in appointment but thankfully, they were able to see me today.
With all of this stuff you have to do yourself, it's amazing to me just because my room mate last year couldn't even figure out all of the advising stuff despite the large amounts of help she received.

Have you ever had something organized just the way you like, just to realize that one thing has to change, changing your whole set up in the process? I have, and when you're unstable due to not enough sleep the night before, it's not a good thing. Especially if it makes sometime you really want to do in the future seem even more difficult than it was before. I may have gotten testy with the advisor after learning about certain classes being offered at certain dates, and how it would affect my plans. Then again, she was kind of rude. She cut me off a lot, which personally I don't think is very nice even if you think you know what the other person is going to say.

Apparently the advising situation isn't great for a lot of people, as I've been informed. I suppose that's just what you have to deal with in a big university.

I register for classes on Friday, so I decided to organize my (hopeful) schedule for the next term. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with organizing my class schedule because I love to organize my time, but sometimes things don't fit the way I want them to. Eh, what can you do.

On an unrelated note, this month is NaNoWriMo! The other name for it is National Novel Writing Month, and I always forget it. The whole idea is that you are to write a novel that is 50,000 words by the end of the month. I always think that it would be cool to participate in, but by the time the month begins I realize that I don't have any ideas for things to write about. Then again, I'm not sure if I've ever had an idea for a novel. Comics sure, but a novel? Not really. Still, it's a very cool idea.

When did I start enjoying November so much? I've actually been really liking this month. Plus, it's already half over (almost) meaning that Thanksgiving is very soon! Hoorah!

I can't believe how late it is already. Goodness. It's bedtime for me.

Do you like planning your schedule ahead of time, or a you a more "go with the flow" type? Me: Very big on planning ahead. My high school friends: Extremely go with the flow. Opposites attract?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word. List of things I completely erased from my mind about college - registering for classes. Trying to come up with a "Good" schedule and getting everything done on-time is like kick-starting the peace process in the middle east.

    Yipes.

    p.s. You are cordially invited to participate in the 2nd Annual Treadmill in the Basement Turkey Trot.

    Even if you don't run on a treadmill or in a basement :)

    ReplyDelete