Thursday, May 31, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect, Heat and Girl Scouts

Once upon a time, I had a paper due for a class. This paper was different from other papers I had ever done. The class was a 300 level course and I decided it would be a good idea to start it the night before. For every paper I've written, I've given myself plenty of time to review review review. I try to get them looked over. Good lord, did I just not care about my grade?

No, I did. I knew I could revise it for a higher grade if I needed to though. Perhaps that was something that made me less motivated.

Today was the day we got them back. As you can probably guess, I wouldn't be talking about this unless I did a lot better than expected or a lot worse. I was expecting a B at best. I got an A-.
Um, excuse me what? How did that happen? I know that being ill prepared can land me in trouble. I had experience with that when it came to my HPHY midterm. Oof.

However, I think there's a reason that I was able to do so much better on my paper than my science midterm: Practice.

Y'see, I might not blog everyday, but I blog most days. Due to this, I've been getting a lot of practice at writing. Sure it's not the best writing, but it's still writing. It's still trying to convey my thoughts to a larger audience by making coherent writings.

Funny thing is, even before I got my paper back we talked about how some writers practice writing at least 900 words a day. I don't even remember what the conversation was about, but it's just funny that it happened to come up.

Honestly though, who am I kidding? I got that grade because of my bomb comparison of the main character in House of Mirth to Mean Girls.

Other than that, it's been so hot out! Good lord. I managed to get my mile in for the run streak at 10pm, and it was still 66 degrees out. How that happens in May in Oregon I don't know.
Also, today was the last day of the Discovery Program with the Girl Scouts! I can't believe it's over. We still have some technical stuff to go over, but other than that no more planning for programs. No more coloring. No more activities. Aw.

Time for me to head out. I've got an interview tomorrow. If only that meant a job. Hmm.

What skill are you constantly practicing over and over?

No comments:

Post a Comment