Saturday, June 2, 2012

Making Friends or Not

Funny thing about people is you'll never know where your relationships will go with them.

Hmm. That's a bit cryptic, but I had no idea how to start this post. Let's try this again.
Recently, I've been thinking about my levels of friendship with people. Levels of friendship? Who knows, but that's the best way I can think of to describe it. At the beginning of the school year, I joined two groups. One was called Alpha Phi Omega and the other University Film Organization. I joined one mainly for friends, the other also for friends but more for the interest in movies. At first glance, I thought I would be really good friends with many of the people from APO. As for the UFO first glance, a lot of them seemed uppity, like, "Oh, we only like high class movies and such".

Flash forward to today, or recently in any case. Even though everyone in APO is very nice, I honestly feel a lot more welcome in film club. Everytime I come in to UFO meetings, I get an enthusiastic greeting. Another thing cementing this feeling of welcomeness into my head was a film club party I went to last night. I ended the night with my face hurting because I was smiling/laughing so much. Plus, I didn't need any... substance of any kind to make me smiling and laughing at the wee hours of the night. (I'm a college kid. You know what I'm talking about.)

Don't get me wrong though, there are a lot of people in APO that I really like. Still, even sometimes with the people I really like I can get the left out vibe. Like I don't belong. Plus, I definitely get the dislike vibe from two APO members, and I have no idea what I've done to give them that vibe. I don't know why they don't like me. I just want to make friends.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too pathetic near the end. It's just surprising to me how things change in ways you don't expect.

In other news, I got a job setting up booths for the Olympic Trials! I'm so excited! Mainly for the fact that I'll have money, but hopefully I'll get a peek into the trials. We'll see. (And honestly, the money thing is diminished by the fact that this now means I'll have to pay rent to my sister for the summer. At least a little bit.

I have just been go go going for the past 3 days. Finally things are calming down... Which is probably good, because I have a research paper I need to get done. Agh.

For a last thought, I really want to bake. Not in my current kitchen though. Going in there just makes me sad.

When was the last time you had unexpected friendships occur?

1 comment:

  1. Lately I've found friends in extremely unexpected places through the running community. I think the biggest thing is that there are people who have "enough" friends and those who don't. In my opinion, the people who have "enough" are the ones you want to steer clear from.

    ReplyDelete