Tuesday, May 15, 2012

All Nighters and Moving for Success

Well. My scholarly attitude has certainly gone down the drain. Last night I had to write up an essay for a class, and it was the most ill-prepared I've ever been for a paper in my life. Oh the shame. Usually I finish papers up early, give myself a chance to get them reviewed. Nope. Not this time. I was prepared to stay up all night if I had to. I had the caffeine. I was ready for an all nighter. Luckily, I was able to get about four hours of sleep. Sounds bad, but considering what I was expecting I think it's okay.

For Mother's Day a few of my family members got together and did a Mother's Day BBQ for all of the moms. While there, I talked to one of my cousins who is working and getting her Master's degree. The conversation moved a bit towards the "What are you going to do after school is over" questions. Somehow the question of where I was going to live after school got out. I explained that I'm thinking I'm probably going to head to California for awhile simply because the type of career I'm looking for is happening over there. To this comment I received, "Oh, I could never move that far away from family". She then continued on about how our family is so close knit, and why it would be so difficult to be far away. Here's the thing. As I've talked about before, I adore my family. Like my cousin said, we're very close knit. However, I know that for the type of career I'm looking at it's going to be hard to find work in Oregon. That might be changing slowly due to so many productions in Portland lately, but I don't know 100%. What I do know that job-wise, I might need to move.
Still though, when my cousin was commenting on how she couldn't be away from the family, it was almost if she was saying I didn't love the family as much. I know she wasn't saying that, but you know when you get that feeling that someone's saying something in the subtext? Yeah, it was that feeling.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get a job right out of college here in Oregon. Maybe I'll try it out somewhere else and come back. What I do know is that I won't limit myself to where it's safe. I love my family, and I know they be happy for me even if I had to move. Hey, my parents would probably be excited that I had a job.

Only a reading for tonight, which is fantastic. All I want to do is be lazy today. I do need to go on a run as well, but... we'll see what becomes of that. I'm really tired. I'll run in the evening.

Would you move away from home for a job? What's the farthest you've ever lived away from your home state/town?

2 comments:

  1. I worked at an overnight camp ~25 miles away from home for three summers during high school. But in terms of moving away for a job, if we could get an international placement for a few years pre-children, absolutely yes.

    Live boldly, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I picked up and moved across the country from Minneapolis MN to Charleson SC for a job. I didn't know a SINGLE SOUL and it was THE BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. I learned about myself, the person I wanted to me, and I eventually met the love of my life!!! I WOULD 1,000,000 times RECCOMMEND you ALWAYS do it. ALWAYS. If you can.... GO!!! :)

    ReplyDelete