Monday, March 12, 2012

Choosing Coffee

Proving my weather/mood hypothesis wrong, I've been in a good mood despite the weather. There's only one word I think describes this weather perfectly, and that word is blustery. Honestly, it would probably be pretty warm if it weren't for the wind. Hmm.

Currently I am pulling a delightfully hipster move. (Or at least when I was writing this earlier) I am typing this up in a Starbucks cafe, sipping on tea. Alright, it's ice tea but it's still tea.

This isn't a usual thing for me. The buying coffee drinks thing that is. I don't care very much about coffee or tea, but I do have a gift card I received for Christmas. $25 will buy you a lot of Passion Iced teas.
I find the addiction to coffee drinks so bizarre. My reasons are because it's another college kid habit that I'm somehow not a part of, and how it affects people so drastically.

I remember hearing about a study that explained coffee addiction. The way that coffee's caffeine effected people with energy is strange. After someone has been drinking coffee as a way to wake up consistently, they're no longer able to get to that level of energy in the morning without it. Before, they were able to get to a higher alertness if allowed (like getting enough sleep), but once caffeine is regular you can't get up to that same energy point again. Well, without coffee that is. Don't quote me on that.

I also find it so crazy how financially responsible people can falter with money when it comes to coffee drinks. Then again, I used to sort of be like that with diet soda. Even then, I bought soda maybe once or twice a week. I know people who buy it everyday. Say you buy a coffee everyday of the work week for $2. That's $10 a week. That's $40 a month. On coffee. Too much for me!
I suppose the argument against money is a lot of people have their own coffee machines. Coffee shops are still thriving though, so I think a lot of people continue to get their fix from them.

I suppose I don't do coffee because I don't like the taste, but I also don't want to get dependent on it. Why start an expensive habit if you don't even like the taste? I don't know.

I've been told sophomore year is when the coffee craving kicks in, but it hasn't... yet. We'll see.

I'm ready for spring break. I'm ready for a new term. I tire of this term, it's boring. I know, I'm going to hate that statement when I'm busy, but for now... yeah. Boring.

Are you a coffee drink addict?

1 comment:

  1. I drink my coffee from the Keurig on my counter black. If I'm out for coffee with a girlfriend, I might order a skim latte. But mostly, coffee drinks fall into the category of "I don't drink calories unless they're alcohol." Because once you start, it's a slippery slope.

    ReplyDelete