Saturday, March 17, 2012

Running: With Groups and Training

I have a confession: I have written out almost complete posts, then deleted everything I wrote. ON PURPOSE. Why? Because sometimes I feel like what I wrote doesn't matter anymore, or it was gibberish. When I say doesn't matter, I mean I don't really care about what I was talking about anymore. Eh. It happens.

What I do care about is the fact that I went on a fantastic run today, and I happened to run it with my sister!

My sister and I tend to do runs together on Sundays, along with one of her friends. They're usually the easy runs of the week, and they're one of my shortest runs of the week. For today, we were doing a long run.
I thought I would be too tired. I thought I would be too hot or too cold. I thought my legs would be sore because I ran yesterday, and I usually don't run the day before my long run.

None of that happened today. I felt good and I probably could have even run more! (I should be running more, but I've been keeping it chill. I have no marathons in the future, thankyouverymuch.)Plus it was an exploration run, which always makes up a good run. The only part where I felt week was on the killer uphill, and that's why I need to work on my uphills more. Funny thing is my sister kills uphills, but hates downhills. I adore downhills and despise uphills. Too bad we can't trade off.

With running in mind, I'd like to think of what distances I would be in shape for right now. I totally could do a 5k, a 10k, or even a 15k right now. I think I could do a half marathon in a month from now if I set mileages, or do one sooner... if I wanted to be aching the next day, that is. The point of all of this is that races need proper training.

I mention this because of a certain blogger's post I read recently. In it she says, "And here's something that probably doesn't surprise you... I'm extremely unprepared."

I wish her well obviously, but at the same time that totally worries me. I don't know what "extremely unprepared" means, but it's not exactly a good phrase for your first half marathon.

Alright, I know that different runners need different mileages for training purposes. Heck, I know someone that ran 14 miles as their farthest distance before a marathon. Granted, I think it wasn't her first, but still. And she still ran it fine.
On the other hand, I know a guy who was in excellent shape that tried a half marathon. Problem was he was in good shape from swimming, not running. His longest recent run had been about 3 miles. He couldn't walk afterwards, he had to be helped.

Therefore, I think that training is very important. You don't have to run the whole distance (my longest marathon training run was 21 miles), but just prepare your body.

So Lexie, I wish you good luck (although by now I think you've already run it). I hope you can walk after.

Other than that... On my exam on Friday, I didn't do as well as I wanted. However, the professor added up my grade, and what I thought would be a B+ became an A-. This is why you do the extra credit, folks! I could try to get an A if I get a good enough grade on the final... but I don't have to take it. He drops the lowest of the three exam scores. Yup, that's a 100 level class for you.

Excited for tonight, and tomorrow. Just going to be good times.

Also, can I just say that the sun staying out after five is amazing? Ah.

Oh, I almost forgot! It's St.Patrick's Day! Happy St.Patrick's Day! (Obviously I have nothing planned around this event.)

What are your thoughts on proper training?

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I've read a lot of "I'm not ready but I'm doing it anyways" or "I think I'm training properly" (but really not) posts and I get so frustrated but it's not up to me to change the world. Meaning, I can't go bossing people around, telling them why their plans won't work. I guess it's up to everybody to research and find the right plan for them. Int he end, I can only train myself. :) I totally understand your frustration - I feel it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who under-train scare the daylights out of me. It's irresponsible and it encourages people to do likewise, which is NOT the message that anyone should be sending.

    That being said, I definitely have another big race in your future and sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete